Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Garmin, Charge Thyself.

Workouts:

Monday: More barbell time.
Tuesday: 5 mile easy run
Wednesday: Track ladder workout (speed work)
Thursday: 12 mile bike ride in the dark

After my 22 mile run Saturday, my legs were a bit tired.  Not just right after the run, but until...oh....Tuesday.  That track ladder workout was on tap for Tuesday, but after the first 400m interval, I knew my legs wouldn't be able to climb up and down the rest of that ladder.  My quads felt like tight little balls of...quad muscle that didn't want to contract in any running sort of way nope nope nope.

So I bagged the workout.  Having already done a mile in the warm-up, I ran 4 more miles easy, and my legs felt much better the next day; they were ready for some track ladder up-and-down climbing.  While the quads were still a bit sluggish, I managed a pretty decent workout overall:




Yes, yes, I know-I walk my recoveries.  Don't judge me.

I did this workout at around 7:15 PM, so what else is a girl in marathon training to do but get up and cross-train at 5:20 A.M.?  I went for a short but very nice bike ride in the dark while testing out my new bike headlight.  It works pretty well (a Blackburn brand), and it managed to startle a group of deer along my route.  I don't know if you know this, but when a group of deer gets all freaked out, it's a free-for-all of deer afterwards.  Deer were running every which way; I think if they could have defied gravity they also would have run straight into the sky. Or at least into a parallel universe and back.  The looks on their faces were all crazy-wild; it looked like my dog does when she is freaked out by a sound she does not recognize:


But the one thing that pissed me off about all of my workouts this week was this:  I could not remember to charge my Garmin.  It's like the neural pathway containing that memory had been obliterated each night while I slept.  Here's how every morning went this week that I needed my Garmin:

1. Get ready for run or bike ride.
2. Put on watch.
3. Turn on watch and hear the angry BEEEEEP that indicates battery is dead.
4. Swear profusely and scare the dogs.
5. Put Garmin on charger.
6. Hope that 15 minutes on the charger will give me enough juice for my workout.
7. Get enough charge to do the workout.
8. Take off Garmin after workout and forget to put it on charger.
9. Repeat steps #1-8 the next morning.

My only hope at this point is they invent wireless electricity so the watch will charge just by absorbing charged particles found in the air.  Or just put my Garmin on the charger after each and every run and not set it down on the desk facing away from me so that I forget that it is on.

Anyhoo, tomorrow is a tempo run, and then a half marathon this weekend as a pseudo-training run.  Let's hope my quads are fully rested and the Garmin is fully charged for those running events.

No comments:

Post a Comment