Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The weather is a lie.

Workout: 2.5 mile run outside, 4.88 miles on the bike, 2.5 mile run on the treadmill.

I have a duathlon coming up on July 7th that consist of two 5K races on either end of a 13 mile bike ride.  I was snooping around online, looking at the results from last year.

The female winner from last year won in an hour and 13 minutes.  It's going to take me about 45 minutes for the bike portion alone, and take me about 27 minutes apiece for the 5Ks.  According to those estimates I should come in...oh.....last.

I should know better than to check out past results for events.  I must remember I can't compare my page 1 (actually, with duathlons, I'm still in the preface to the book rather than the actual book itself) to someone else's page 2,375.

And it doesn't help that I wanted to do a brick workout today, but the weather wasn't on my side.  If I had done this workout when I should have (about 8 AM), then it all would have worked out fine.  But no--I had to fart around for another hour before I got started.  I did manage to check the weather when said farting-around was occurring, and this is what it said:

Click to embiggen.

The weather is a lie.  

I headed out for the first 2.5 mile run at about 9:15 AM, and there were a few raindrops I had to dodge here and there, but no major "rain event" was taking place.  When I got back to the house after 25 minutes and got ready to get on the bike, it had started to rain a bit heavier.  

As I headed out on the bike, the heavens opened up and poured forth their mighty aquatic fury upon me.

Well, it wasn't that bad.  But it was raining pretty heavily, and big ol' raindrops were smacking into my eyeballs.  Sweat was also being washed down into my eyes, making them sting sting sting.  Other than the pain, it was a refreshing ride in the rain.  I was going to ride for 8 miles, but turned around at about the 2.5 mile mark and headed back to the house because I determined that around 5 miles of refreshment was all I could handle.  When I got home I was soaked to the bone, so my 2nd transition was a lot longer than I expected--I had to get the bike inside, wipe it down, and change my clothes entirely.  Since it was still pouring, I decided to finish the last 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

Have I mentioned that I hate running on the treadmill?

Those 2.5 miles dragged on and on and on.  And on.  And on and on. And oooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  The satellite was out, so I had no TV to watch--it was just me and my music, wishing the run would be over with so I could go take a shower.  

Those kind of thoughts never run through my mind when running outside.  I know I should be grateful I even have a treadmill to do all my bad weather running, but it doesn't make it any mentally easier.

And it's not easy to watch lakes forming around your house in a span of two hours:


Now I get to spend the rest of the day babysitting my basement and hoping that the sump pump keeps pumping.  You're all jealous, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment