Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More on winter running.

I planned on doing today's run on the treadmill.  But something inside me throughout the day was trying to convince myself to run outside in that 25 degree weather and 12 degree wind chill due to the 15 mph winds.  (It's the insane part of me, you see).  So I finally decided to suck it up and run outside, even though it takes a bajillion years for me to get dressed to go for a winter run.  Perhaps this is why:

1) Put on compression calf sleeves.
2) Put on either thigh compression sleeves that will annoyingly fall down during the run or a pair of compression capris or tights.
3) Put on a pair of winter running tights.
4) Dig through drawer looking for my favorite mock turtleneck running compression shirt base layer, frantically hoping its clean from the last time I gathered up the courage to run outside in the cold.
5) Take 15 minutes to decide if I should wear a sweatshirt or a running jacket.  After that decision is made, try and decide which sweatshirt or running jacket.
6) Take another 15 minutes to decide what running shoes I will wear.  Mizunos, Asics, or Nikes; oh my!
7) Find my two winter running essentials, my Saucony balaclava and my Hotfingers gloves:


These two items alone make my winter running comfortable.  If my fingers or ears get cold, I turn into a gibbering puddle of goo and want to call someone to come get me in the middle of my run.

8) Put on balaclava, and then remember I haven't put on my headphones/iPod yet.  Take off balaclava and put on earphones.  Put balaclava back on.
9)  Find fuzzy warm hat to wear on top of balaclava.
10) Check the weather and then determine a route where the wind will be at my back on the way home.
11) Start to walk out the door, and then remember I need my pepper spray for any nasty dogs or kidnappers.  Go back and get it.
12) Start to leave again and then realize I am not wearing my ID.  Go back and put that on.
13) Finally start running.

On today's run, I met my little collie buddy who lives at a little farm along the route I took.  He usually accompanies me for about half a mile each way on this out-and-back route, pretty much making a mockery of my running by walking beside me while I look a total idiot "running" next to him.


It's hard to get a picture of a dog that's trying to sniff your crotch at the same time.  He's cute, but he's a crotch-hound, alright.  I don't even know his name.  I'm such a shameless running hussy.

At the end of my 9 mile excursion into the cold, I was met by this gorgeous sunset staring at me from my own backyard:



This made all that messing around getting ready worth it.  Would have missed it if I had stayed inside staring at the wall in front of my treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment