Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, July 28, 2013

I am one needy runner.

Workout: 15 mile bike ride for long run recovery in this gorgeous weather we've been having here in almost Wisconsin.

On Friday night, the hubbs noticed that the weird running things I do no longer phase him.  Ice baths, toilet paper in plastic bags lying on the kitchen counter, endlessly reminding me to put away my pepper spray...it's all become a part of the rhythm of our marriage.  Whether or not this warrants counseling remains to be seen.  However, it got me thinking about all my running "essentials," as it were, so I thought I would be kind enough to list them out for you out of the goodness of my heart and as a direct result of the fact that I have a slight fetish for bulleted lists.

Here are my running essentials:


  • Good running clothes.  This is an area on which I splurge, because you can never pay too much for something that doesn't make you chafe like a you-know-whatofanitch.  I am drawn to Nike running gear as far as capris and running shorts go.  For tops, I like Under Armour or whatever race shirt I can find that's a tech tee.  When running long runs in the winter or fall, I favor Nike jackets or my orange and black Boston Marathon jacket I found at TJ Maxx of all places (I know I didn't run it--but it inspires me).  When I am in the mood for a skirt, Sparkle Skirts is my go-to place for cuteness, along with Runningskirts.com.
  • A good hat or visor.  Again, I usually go with Nike for this, but I do have an Adidas hat of which I am very fond.  For visors, I have a few Nike ones, but my favorite is a Headsweats visor that I got at Rogue Running in Cedar Park, Texas.
  • Great running tunes.  I have an iPod Shuffle that my husband bought for me 3 Christmases ago that refuses to die.  I love the thing--it's small and can be clipped anywhere.
  • Good running headphones.  I prefer the over-the-ear kind, because then I know they won't get ripped out of my ears.  I am currently using the over-the-ear type made by Yurbuds; they have good sound quality and don't move once you put them in your ears.
  • Pepper spray.  You never know when some crazy dog wants to chase you down for an afternoon snack.  Or when some weirdo tries to shove you into the trunk of his car.  I know it can be used against you as well, but I would rather have it than not have it, you know?
  • My phone.  When I do short repeats near my house I don't carry it, but if I am doing any sort of longer out and back, then it goes with me in a Marika pouch that I found at TJ Maxx (love that store) for 8 bucks.  I love it because it doesn't ride up and try to transform into a strapless bra after a while.
  • Compression sleeves or socks.  I know some people don't think they work, but for the shin-splint prone such as myself, I feel they are beneficial.  I love the socks from Pro Compression the best-lots of funky colors, and they even make low-rise socks as well.
  • A good pair of running shoes.  This one is kind of "duh," but it has to be said.  When I first started running I trained in cross-trainers which, if you don't know, is a huge no-no.  I have tried out a lot of shoes, and these days I am happy with the Brooks Glycerin 11s and the Sayonara.  But I also like the Nike LunarGlides and the Mizuno Wave Rider 16s.
  • My Camelbak for long runs.  I have the Camelbak Marathoner Vest, and I will not go on any long run without it.  It holds 2 liters of water and has two huge seemingly bottomless pockets in the front for things like gels, phone, pepper spray, toilet paper in plastic bags, small children, etc.  This allows me to run without having to carry anything in my hands, which is HUGE for me.
  • My Road ID.  If I get hit by a car and die in a ditch, I need someone to be able to identify my body and call my husband.
  • Toilet paper in a sandwich bag.  For those moments you find yourself sprinting into a cornfield during a long run, it's nice to have at least one of the comforts of home with you.  Why in a sandwich bag?  So your sweat doesn't cause it to disintegrate before you need it.
  • My Garmin 910XT.  How can I go on a run without my little running boss-on-a-wrist?  It tells me when to eat, when to rest, when to speed up, and when to slow down.  I love the damn thing.  Plus, it records all my workouts and I can compare them via Garmin Connect when I need to see if I am progressing or not.
  • Sunscreen.  Yes, even in the winter.  I will burn no matter what time of year it is.


Looking back over this list, it seems I have a lot of essentials.  I guess I'm a needy little runner.  And, since I need all this crap, no wonder it takes me forever to get ready for a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment