Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Have loincloth, will travel. Or run.

Workout: Track Ladder (0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1 mile, and back down that ladder).  Mostly at 10K pace.

"Honey, you look like you're going off to play tennis somewhere."

That's what the hubbs said to me before I went off on my run this morning.  I was wearing my new Nike running skirt and a Nike Pro Combat tank top.



The skirt seemed a little short. The spandex shorts underneath seemed even shorter.  The skirt had flaps on either side, making it more like a loincloth rather than a running skirt.  It really revealed my awesome running tan lines, too:

Those shorts were about the length of that skirt.  Only those shorts won't fly up while I'm running.

I felt rather uncomfortable being in the shortness and flimsiness that was this running skirt.  I began to doubt its "running skirt" function, thinking maybe it had been misplaced in the "running" section of the store from which I had purchased it.  Maybe it was a tennis skirt that had lascivious desires to be a running skirt and was just hanging out in the running stuff on the day that I found it, sitting there all on sale and my favorite color blue and stuff.

And then I had no more time for doubts, because I had to get my butt outside and go for a run.

My ladder workout was tough-tougher than I thought it would be.  The mile at the top of the ladder almost got me, but I pushed on and finished the workout.  My inner mantra, in fact, became "YOU WILL FINISH THIS WORKOUT."  Sometimes I listen to myself, and I did this morning.  I finished the workout.

But whenever I was running into the wind, I am afraid I gave the neighbors a little bit of a free show that they can never, ever unsee, no matter how hard they scrub those eyeballs.  The skirt kept riding up right along with the spandex underneath, and it felt like I was running naked from the waist down.  That wasn't exactly unpleasant, I must confess, but what was unpleasant was realizing that it looked like I was running around in tight blue underwear because the skirt had flown up and blended in with my shirt.  

The whole loincloth-esque feeling of this skirt is a deal breaker for me, along with the spandex shorts riding up to regions of my body none of us (including me) want to think about.  It also doesn't help that there is only one tiny pocket at the waist for your stuff.  I need more pockets, dammit.  Nike, weren't you listening when I wrote this post?!?  They need to design a cargo running skirt with all sorts of pockets just for me.

I think the biggest deal breaker for the neighbors is my awesome tan lines.  Along with the impression of me running in that skirt this morning that is seared into their retinas forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment