Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, June 10, 2013

Ragnar Relay Chicago 2013: Moo.

You know how much my husband loves me?  He loves me enough to let me go run from Madison to Chicago on our 10th anniversary. (I think the 10th anniversary should be heretoforthwith known as a "Ragnarversary.") He even loves me enough to drop me off in Madison and then come and get me in Chicago when we finish.


But I do love me a Ragnar, and this one was just as awesome as a Ragnar from Madison to Chicago could be (and awesomer than last year, because the temperatures were much more tolerable).  In case you don't know what a Ragnar is, that's where 12 crazy people (or 6 even crazier people) run about 200 miles from one city to another, running various legs of varying length, handing off a sweaty slap bracelet as they go.  I usually run with a great running team from Digital Running Club, who puts together teams of strangers to run these types of events.  This is my third time with a Digital Running Club team, and I really do enjoy running with them.  The teams are well organized, prepared, and you basically just show up and run with 11 other great runners.  If you ever get the hankering to run a Ragnar, I would suggest you look to them first.

Our team name on this Ragnar Chicago was How Now Spotted Cow, and we even had a team mascot:

Whiskey the Cow drinks and texts like the sophisticated modern cow that he is.

Spots on bottom, spots on top.  Me and awesome runner #10, Whitney, at the starting line.

I was runner #7 this time around, a spot of which I am growing fond.  While it means you have to be up on deck first before everyone else in the van (and not getting to sleep as long), it also means you are done with your running before everyone else--so you can spend your time cheering on your teammates and serving as their own personal race photographer:

Runner #9 - Justin


Runner #8 - Denise

Runner #11 - Bob


Let's review my legs, shall we?

Leg #1: "7.5" miles

I managed to get a nap in before my first leg, which made me feel much better (it got rid of my headache).  After that, I popped out of the van and headed on down to my exchange.


Please note the SWEET cow shorts I had on, courtesy of Running Funky, where you can get running stuff in all sorts of crazy-arse prints.  My first handoff went smoothly:



I trucked briefly along a city street, and then entered the Glacial Drumlin Trail at the trail head.  After settling in to a nice pace after 2 miles, I was running quite nicely.  There was a nice breeze, there was shade, and the path was nice and green (yay no brown!).  I hit the water station at about mile 4, and then took a left turn onto a street.

Problem was, I didn't remember any left-hand turns that early from looking at the leg map earlier, so I was a tad concerned.  But since there was an official Ragnar sign telling me to turn left, I let it be the boss of me and turned left onto a road that was nothing but rolling hills.  I then took a right at the next intersection, and then up more hills (!) to another intersection, where I recognized the street names.  By that time I was heading towards mile 7.2, and was looking desperately for an exchange.

I didn't see one.  Instead, I got told by another team that another 3.8 miles had been tacked on to my leg, and I would be running 11.3 miles now due to unexpected construction on a bridge along my original route.

Talk about having to shift into an entirely different mental space--from "ALMOST DONE!" to "HOLY YOU-KNOW-WHAT I HAVE 4 MORE MILES TO RUN I'LL NEVER MAKE IT OH GOD IT'S SO HOT I THINK I WILL DIE WHY DIDN'T I BRING ANY WATER WITH MEEEEE"

Yeah.  Mental games are fun.  I had to keep telling myself I had run half marathons in hotter weather and at a much faster pace, so I needed to suck it up, buttercup.

My van found me around that time, and the awesome runner #8 (Denise) offered to run the extra miles for me (twice!), but I didn't want to mess up her legs, and besides--I always finish what I start.  So finish I did, with a little walking right before mile 10 to reset my legs and mental state.

Finishing the "7.5" mile leg. I managed to grab some water right before my team found me.

I still managed a 9:27 average pace for those miles, so I was pretty happy.  After all, in a Ragnar, you don't want to run your first leg too all-out, or you'll hit the wall in your later legs.  Speaking of those later legs, let's move on to....

Leg #2: 5.2 mile run (Night Run)

I was worried about this run.  After 11.3 unexpected miles, I was worried my quads would be trashed.  But it's amazing what 4 months of marathon training and an unexpected running buddy can do for your stamina.  My quads felt good the entire time--not tight and screaming like they were last year at this Ragnar.  I started off at about 11:15 P.M., and I was determined to do a slower first mile and then speed up so as to let my legs ease into the running.  I did accomplish that with a 10:00 first mile, but then I met up with a fellow runner waiting at a light, and we decided to run together for the rest of the run.

It was gorgeous.  Soul-renewing.  The night runs are always my favorite.

The night was cool, the company was good, and helped push me up yet another hill at the end of the run.  I came in right on time, with an average pace of 9:20.  Just the kind of run that helps you sleep soundly in the van before your next run...

Leg #3: 6 mile run

I got in some good sleep after my night run.  We arrived at Exchange 30 at about 5:30 A.M.,  and I woke up and thought I was too jazzed to go back to sleep.  Well, I thought that until my head hit the van seat and I passed out until 7 A.M.  I then woke up and got ready for the run.







This 6.0 mile run was way more mental than physical.

It was a beautiful run, and I got to see the Great Lakes Naval Station on the McCrory Bike Trail.  The breeze from Lake Michigan was cool, there was shade on the path, and no one passed me (that I remember, anyway).  But the whole time I had to push myself to keep going, checking in with my quads and realizing that they weren't as tired as I thought they were--my mind was much more tired than my body.  I had to convince myself to run in 400 m increments, and, after I met each tiny goal, push myself to do another 400 meters.  This is what I did for 6 miles until I finally saw the glorious exchange that signaled the end of my running.

People didn't realize I was all triumphant because I had managed to run the entire thing.

I pulled off a 9:28 pace for that run, which is good for me at the end of a Ragnar.  I felt exhausted but ecstatic--now I could relax, wipe myself down with baby wipes for the last time, cheer on the rest of my team, and dream of a hot shower and a good teeth brushing.

We reached the finish line around 3 P.M. on Saturday, which was on Montrose Beach in downtown Chicago:



Overall, I was very happy with this Ragnar.  One of my secret goals was not to walk on any of my legs this time around, and I am considering that goal achieved--I didn't walk any of my ORIGINAL mileage.  I am also happy that I made some fantastic new friends, and I hope to run with all of them again in the future.

Until I do, I will leave them and you with the best Ragnar advice I've ever seen:



Wiser words were never spoken.  Or at least written on the side of a van at a Ragnar Relay.

2 comments:

  1. You are a WARRIOR Terie! Great job on your, er, "7.5" miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was bummed I had to walk a little of it, but I had to do a reset before I could move on.

    ReplyDelete