Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Lessons from Tempo Thursday

Normally I tempo my little heart out on Thursdays on the ‘mill, staring at my reflection bobbing up and downon the big blue wall in front of my treadmill. But not this morning kids—it was 50 degrees outside on this August first, so I took that tempo outside with large dog at 5:30 AM.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1kVQxjCPXv6Y7VhHovoAvwNhSBSdyHGak

I actually programmed the tempo workout I was doing into the old Garmin (7 miles with 30 min at 9:20 pace) and ran off into the gorgeous morning. And while this tempo wasn’t the worst one I’ve ever done (I’m looking at you, 80 minutes at 8:54 tempo 👀), I did learn a few things as I ran off into the cool morning:

1) The neighbors at the ends of streets where large dog and I turn around all have dogs. I know this because large dog barks loudly EVERY TIME we turn around. EVERY.  TIME. The jerk. 

2) When doing tempos outside my house, you’ll just have to suck it up, buttercup, and run some of that tempo on some hills. They don’t flatten themselves just because I have to keep a certain pace. Those jerks.

3) Workouts sent to the Garmin do not auto-pause like a normal run workout. I know this because when I stopped to answer Mother Nature’s very important andurgent call in the middle of the tempo, the minutes just kept ticking by on the watch while Mother Nature held me hostage. That jerk.

4) Large dog just isn’t into post-run selfies that much.That jerk.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1mRfAn6v5UALjnoVfdzOCtZ4s7zMnvO86

Tomorrow’s workout: Maybe some HiiT. Maybe some cycling. Maybe both. You’ll have to tune in to find out.Because I’m a jerk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment