Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Day 1, Week 6: Pros and Cons.

I didn't blog yesterday because I was pretty much exhausted by the time I sat down to do so.  It's amazing how much a 35-mile ride will do that to you (not really). 



In terms of pros and cons, "exhaustion" is most definitely a con of training for a long-distance race of any kind.  In fact, let's review some of the pros and cons of the workouts for the past few days, shall we?  Because that's really all I have time for before I pass out again from today's workout, which was a 13 mile run if you really must know.  And I guess you do need to know, since this is a fitness blog and all.



Anyway, to the pros and cons!

Pros:

  • Temperatures were very, very nice (60s and 70s with low-ish humidity) considering it's July in northern Illinois.  That meant I didn't have to go out as early in the day to get the workouts done.
  • It stayed cloudy for both workouts.  It's always nice not being fried by the sun when you're trying to get some distance in.






  • I am really enjoying the bike riding - way more than I thought I would
  • I spent a total of 4-ish hours working out this weekend and that makes me feel like a badass. 
  • I actually met other cyclists on the ride on Saturday, who all gave me weird looks as they passed me and realized I was blasting music from seemingly nowhere on my bike.  Nowhere, by the way, is from the little pouch on the front of my bike where I stow my bike speaker.
  • I did not crash on my bike and did not get hit by any cars on the run.  Always a plus.
  • I took some pretty awesome selfies with my bike.

  • I got to wear my Partridge Family shoes on the run I did off the bike on Saturday.




Cons:

  • Doing a long bike ride and a long run in the same weekend makes your legs, you know....tired.  I'm realizing I will need to take it easier on the bike to get the run done on Sunday.
  • I'm also realizing that the long runs are not going to be at the pace I would normally run them at--I'm going to have to slow them down too.  I'm still in the process of convincing myself that training low to race high will actually work.
  • Large dog went with me for the first 7 miles of the run because he begged me to go...and then he kept trying to lay down every half mile.  BUH.




  • I sure do know how to make a mess of my transition area.




  • I made and ate the BEST japaneno popper tater tot casserole on Saturday night which caused me to spend a lot of time looking at the inside of a corn field on the run today.  In case you don't know what that looks like, here you go:




So what can we learn from the random lists above?

  • Don't eat japaneno-baked goodness the night before a long run (this is a lesson I'll have to re-learn because I freaking love jalapenos)
  • Always bring toilet paper with you on a run
  • Large dog is getting lazier and lazier during the run
  • I have too much crap in my dresser drawers
  • I am a masochist because, you know, two huge workouts every weekend for me!
  • A blog post can never, ever have too many bullet points.  Ever.


Tomorrow's workout: Upper body weights because I'm freaking tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment