Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ragnar Great River 2013: My Ultra Learnings

As you can probably tell from the title, I ran another Ragnar this weekend.  I have always wanted to do the Great River edition of Ragnar, simply because it is relatively close to my house and it is a Ragnar.

But I never really expected to do it as a part of an ultra team.



If you don't know how a Ragnar ultra team works, here's the low-down in a numbered list because numbered lists are the shiznitz: (Bulleted lists are better, but I'm doing this through the Blogger app on my iPad right now, which doesn't allow me to do that.  Jerks.)

1. You have 6 runners instead of 12
2. You all ride in one van
3. You run 6 times instead of three
4. You have to be asked to do this right after you have run a regular 12-person Ragnar because you are still on a high from that and will say yes to anything involving the word "Ragnar."


I wanted to give you the low down of all six of my runs in this post, but I would also like to keep the 5 or fewer readers I already have.  Therefore, I will boldly use the numbered-list blogging technique twice in one post and just share with you my ultra-good learnings from my ultra Ragnar experience:

1. An equation: (6 runners + 6 runs each) = THE STENCH THAT CANNOT BE QUANTIFIED.
2. Another equation: THE STENCH THAT CANNOT BE QUANTIFIED + 6 dirty running outfits + 2 days in plastic bags = ONE STENCH TO RULE THEM ALL.  The hubbs accidentally wandered into the laundry room when I had all 6 stinky running outfits jammed into the confined space of the washing machine tumbler.  He left that room a changed man, and not for the better.
3. After the 4th run, your legs are no longer speaking to you.  During the 6th run, if you listen carefully, you can hear some talk of secession from your body.
4. You can do more than you think you can.  The 5th and 6th runs are purely mental.  You do what you can to make it to the next exchange.  My 5th run trick was convincing myself that 6 miles really wasn't that far.  My 6th run trick was actually walking for a minute and then running half a mile, and then repeating that over and over again.
5. "You should have pooped when you had the chance."  Wiser words were never spoken at a Ragnar.  Let's just say the last 4 miles of my 6th run were spent literally sucking it up from an opening other than my mouth. 
6. Ultra runners are a calm bunch.  No drama, no whining.  Everyone got out there and got it done.
7. As one of my teammates (Heidi) pointed out, on an ultra team you get to see the entire course. 
8. Maximize your nonrunning time with rest.  Everyone ran as two different runners, so you really had to use your time wisely between runs.  There were about 3-4 hours of rest in-between each run, so you had to make sure to get some shut-eye.  We determined that you could stay awake for at least one runner after you, but after that you slept until it was almost your turn again.  This is why I only have pictures of my teammate Mike (the runner after me) instead of everyone this time.
9. You can take an entire shower in a sink if you want to.  Well, you pretty much have to because there  is NO time to take advantage of any showers offered at exchanges-your ass (and your van) must get to each exchange pronto.  
10. The green ultra bib garners instant respect and Ragnar street cred.



As you can see, I learned a lot, and had a blast. I met and ran with some fantastic people, and I would do an ultra again in a heartbeat (maybe not Great River...my quads are speaking to me now, but they are screaming at me about all those hills).  

At least I have my shiny medal to comfort me.  It even says "ultra runner" on the thingie that helps hang it on your neck:




And a bonus: I got my double medal for doing Chicago & Great River in the same year.




It's making for quite the medal collection.  




Too bad I won't be able to get any more until next summer. Can't wait for Ragnar Chicago to roll around so I can get my relay run on.





No comments:

Post a Comment