Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Friday, August 30, 2013

The hubbs' dental surgery is way more interesting than my workout today.

This morning's workout was 30 minutes of upper-body weight work along with 10 minutes of abs.  I have diligently been doing core 2 times a week in an effort to strengthen a weak left rectus abdominus that makes running a bit unpleasant at times, especially since it is in the lower lower abdomen, if you catch my drift.

It was an uneventful workout.  What was eventful was the fact that I did it this workout at 4 A.M. This is because I had to get my husband to his oral surgery appointment by 6:50 A.M. so I could be at work on time.  Then I had to leave work by 8:30 to go pick him up and take him home and keep an eye on him all day.

When I got there he was groggy and couldn't speak very well due to all of the bloody gauze in his mouth.  He looked sad, and wouldn't let me take any pictures of him because he was afraid I would post them on Facebook.  And he would have been right.  So, because I don't have any pictures of him, I took the liberty of sketching what he did look like when I saw him:


When we got home, he had to put this crazy ice pack on his face that went under his chin and fastened via velcro on the top of his head.  It had pockets along the sides to put in separate ice packs against each cheek.  Again, he wouldn't let me take pictures, so I drew what he looked like:


I know.  It looks like a bra is wrapped around his face.  That's what it looked like in real life, too. 

But enough talk about bras on people's faces.  Let's talk about this long run I have to do tomorrow.  I have 22 miles to do, and I plan on heading up to a trail I have never run before to do it.  It will be my longest training run to date, and while I will be suffering, it will give me a needed mental boost when I am in the final miles of my marathon.  Going to have to get up early to avoid the heat. 

And speaking of this heat...remember before my last marathon when I expected the weather to warm up and it never did because Mother Nature is a cold and heartless you-know-whatitch?  I am afraid now that the weather won't cool down enough by October for me to have a pleasant 2nd marathon experience.  I think taper madness is hitting me a bit early with all sorts of irrational fears.

If this is what I'm going through now, my actual taper should be FABULOUS.  I think I'll tell my husband to move out during those two weeks to retain his sanity.  And that way I can draw more pictures of him with all my free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment