Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

I'm writing my duathlon goals instead of working out right now.

Listen.  I know the duathlon isn't as sexy as the triathlon.  It's already a psychologically "less than" race than the triathlon because, you know, ONLY two sports instead of THREE because MORE is BETTER (and so is randomly capitalizing words).  But since what I do in the water cannot legally be called "swimming," I'm stuck with the duathlon until they change the first sport to something other than swimming.  Like rollerblading. Or discus.  Or pickleball.

Anyway, my duathlon is on Saturday (looks like rain...boo) so it's probably a little early to be setting any race goals.  But I'm going to throw caution to the wind and list them out below because that's how I roll, people.

  • Goal for Run #1 (5K run): Around a 9 minute mile.  Or faster or slower, maybe.
  • Goal for the Bike (26 miles): Average somewhere in the 17 mph range because I've ridden this course before and holy hills, batman.
  • Goal for Run #2 (10K run): Whatever gets me to the finish line still running.


Overall goal for the race: Survival.

My ulterior motive for this race is to use it as a baseline race for the half duathlon I will be doing in September, so really this is kind of like a practice race.  (Or, at least, that's what I'm going to tell myself when I am suffering on the second loop of the bike course to self-soothe.)  In fact, I was going to do a shortened practice race this morning but that whole "have to be at work on time" thing got in the way.  So I planned to do it after work...and we all know how well that always works out for me.

Yeah.  I took selfies in real clothes instead because that burns calories too, right?

Low calorie burn selfie - it was just a warm up.


You can see the calories sizzling right off me.  What a workout.

Right.  And these are real "learnings," too:
  • Survival is always a good goal for a race.  Especially your first race of any distance or type.
  • Not only did I ditch my workout today because I lied to myself about doing it after work, but the whole "no wind" thing going on tomorrow morning made me persuade myself to do it tomorrow morning.
  • I want my muscles to look all crazy amazing when my arms are at my sides so I don't have to walk around all day flexing my arms.
  • That's my favorite type of dress - the "I paid almost $30 for what is essentially a large bag with pockets and armholes" type.  Very comfy.


Tomorrow's workout: A small practice duathlon.  I mean it this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment