Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, June 25, 2018

Days 1 & 2, Week 2: It's like I don't even run anymore.

I'm a little concerned with the Runner's World My Run Plan app.  Mainly my concern is about how much running it's having me do right now, which is not much.  Case in point - I was all up in the bike riding and weight work for cross-training over the past few days:


Just a little 25 miler that I did in the time I wish it took me to run that same mileage.



And just some casual upper-body strength training..no big deal.

That do-rag does AWESOME well.


The longest run I had last week was 4 miles.  Four.  Measly.  Miles.  You can tell I'm worried about running a marathon with such low mileage...and by "worried" I mean "completely freaked out and it's only week 2."

OK.  Take a breath.  It will be alright.  Even if other training plans have you running 14 miles at this point on the weekends.

Good air in....bad air out.....*gasp*

There.  I feel better.  Not really.

Anyway, here's how I'm going to get through the rest of this training cycle without feeling like I'm not really training:

1) Remember that the marathon isn't until October, for crying out loud and that there's time.
2) Convince myself that this will be a low-mileage training experiment and view this whole thing scientifically
3) Download the entire training plan from the app (which I just figured out how to do) and search frantically for longer runs than 4 miles on the "Long Run" days
4) Shake my phone every now and then when the app is running and say to no one in particular, "IS THIS THING ON?"
5) Remember that I'm also training for a half duathlon (10K/56 mi/10K) so I can freak out about that for a while to get my mind off the whole "I don't think I'm running enough" thing.

So the coping mechanisms are in place.  All that's left are some learnings:

  • I have learned that bike riding in the morning when the sun comes up is pretty awesome.
  • I have also learned that bike riding in the morning when the sun comes up leaves me covered in gnats.
  • I've learned that recovery cat shows up most when I'm in a hurry to get ready and get out the door in the morning.
  • I have also learned I better start biking and strength training on the same day to get those bike miles in.
  • And lastly, I've learned that it takes more than 4 freaking miles to run a marathon people. 


Tomorrow's workout: Speed makes a comeback!  Some 300s...interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment