Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, June 14, 2018

My recovery run-down and what's next

So I've been recovering this week because my Runner's World app said that I had to until Saturday. Well, I call it "recovery;" the app calls it "cross-training."



Although I don't know why it didn't check off my cross-training for today.  The app must have figured out my little trick of selecting "Other" as a workout to get it to register as cross-training in the app and changed the rules on me behind my back.  The jerk.

But don't just take my jerky app's word for it that I did all sorts of cross training this week - also check out these stupid pictures:

ZOMG how did I get on my spin bike?!?

This was the last time I could lift my arm that far above my head
because BOOT CAMP

Just causally biking to nowhere.

I only have a few things to say about my cross-training this week:
  • Hubbs is very tolerant of my picture-taking requests....and tolerant of the fact that he has to walk around me and my bike in front of the TV whilst getting ready in the morning.
  • I haven't done that Cathe Boot Camp workout in around 2 months and my thighs are now sore to the touch.
  • The animals have NO IDEA what to do after I move the bike into the living room, which generates reactions from slightly frightened indifference to "I better be ready to flee if that thing comes at me" from the cats.

Fascinated...but can't be bothered.

Ready to OMG FLEE FOR YOUR LIFE

So, after this week of pseudo-recovery and sore thighs, what's next? Well, I plan on using that Runner's World app to train for the Twin Cities Marathon in October.  Along the way, I plan on doing some duathlons because, as every marathoner knows, duathlons are a vital part of marathon training (not really).


The cool part of the Runner's World app is that you can designate which race is your goal race and then it will automagically give you little mini-tapers to all of your other races too.  Or, at least that's what the instructions say.  We'll see, won't we?  We will also see if I hit that projected finish time of 4:14, which would definitely be a PR for me on that course.  Here's some other things I'm going to do in addition to what's in the training plan:

On the weekends, do my runs early in the morning.  I tend to fart around on the weekends doing things like "cleaning" and "working" and that type of farting needs to stop.  
Hill repeats will be done - on the bike and whilst running.  That MuncieMan Half duathlon is on the same hilly course as my most recent duathlon - and the key to success is hill training.  Which is also known as "masochism."
Do all the workouts.  I did pretty well with this during my last training cycle; this is just a reminder.
Lose 10 more pounds.  Get lighter, get faster.  The most healthy reason to lose weight, right?  (no)
Remember where I've been - and remember that at 43 years old I'm doing OK health, fitness, and body size-wise.

28 vs. 43.  I think I'm doing fine.

And also remember that it's time for the dumb learnings now:
  • I have high hopes for the Runner's World app.  High hopes that I also hope won't be crushed by a crappy marathon performance.
  • I also have high hopes for losing those 10 pounds.
  • I hope my thighs stop being sore soon and I can touch them without wincing.
  • I hope everyone realizes now after looking at that wedding picture that hubbs hasn't always looked like Santa.
  • "Fascinated but can't be bothered" is my new motto.


Tomorrow's workout: A workout DVD of some kind...I'm still up in the air as to which one.  The suspense is killing you, I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment