Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

All aboard the motorized weight loss scooter.

Hey there, kids!



When last we met I was talking about goals for the year that were really the same goals I have every year only with different words.  I was also jabbering about how I'm doing Run the Year 2019.  I'm still pretty much on track with those goals (except for the whole "get to bed on time" one), but today I really want to focus on Goal #5--my weight loss goal.

If you remember, that goal was to lose 20 pounds by June and to do it using Medifast.  Now, I set that goal because:

a) I have been 20 pounds lighter before and
b) I ain't getting any younger, so I realize that weight loss at my advanced age of 44 takes longer than it did when I embarked on my first weight loss journey at 35.

So I have been dutifully been doing my Medifast stuff for over a week, and people...I lost 5 pounds already.

Five.  I know that's not exactly a runaway train of weight loss, but it's at least a motorized scooter.

Now, I know that's how these plans hook you and stuff - you experience big loss at the start and then you get to the dreaded plateau.  But after being on my Medifast plan (the 5-2-2 plan), I can see why this is causing some big time loss in the first week.  And because I can never get enough of bulleted lists, here's a list of reasons why:

  • It's low carb.  And I don't mean "no carb;" I mean LOW carb.  The only carbs I seem to eat are the ones in veggies and fruit, which I usually eat as my two healthy snacks a day on my plan.  No processed stuff allowed unless Medifast has processed it for you in one of their "meals."  
  • Speaking of those "meals," The Medifast "meals" are all low-calorie.  Like, 110 calories or less.  These "meals" could consist of bars, shakes, things labeled "mashed potatoes" and "ziti" that you're pretty sure were never such things and these awesome little "soft bake" things that are like desserts but only the brownie and gingerbread ones are any good.  Overall, they're not bad, but let's just say I keep writing the word meals as "meals" for a reason here.
  • Another reason the "meals" don't bother me that much (right now) is because on my plan I get to eat 2 "Lean and Green" meals in addition to 5 Medifast "meals" a day.  I have come to determine that these meals just consist of some flavored meat and some veggies, which is fine by me because that stuff is easy to make.  But these meals are also the reason I think the weight has dropped off in the first week - they're filling, healthy, and low calorie. 
  • This Medifast plan I'm on is pretty stinking easy to do.  As soon as I realized the "meals" were really just supplements to my Lean & Green meals, it all fell into place for me and I was rolling with the plan.
  • This whole experience is teaching me that my old "I can eat more because I'm training for a marathon" just isn't true.  I have to admit I am hungrier than I was before when I was free ranging on crap, but feeding my body just enough is still working for my training at the moment.  And feeding my body mostly nutrients is working quite nicely - my workouts have been strong this past week.  Well, except for the time I was begging Cathe to stop with the hovers during a spin workout.  She ignored me, though, because she was too busy climbing nonexistent hills on her spin bike.


And oh yeah...I've been doing some workouts this last week too.  Some spin, some weights, and of course some running.  Even ran outside with large dog in the wee hours of the AM crazily whispering "will you shut up barking shut up shut up don't let the coyote pack we hear every night when I take you outside know where we are!" while he ignored me and kept barking. 







We'll see how the Medifast is working as my mileage starts to increase on the weekend.  May have to add in another snack if my energy starts to flag.  But I will leave you all with the biggest learning I've learned being on Medifast and training for a marathon:

Never, EVER have a Medifast "meal" before a run.  Ever.

And now for some lesser learnings:

  • I freaking love those running shorts.  Go buy some for yourself at Gypsy Runner's site.
  • My fave Medifast "meal" so far - the Triple Berry Smoothie.
  • I have run a 16 x 200m repeat workout two weeks in a row now and I'd just like to state for the record that I would not be upset if my training plan app didn't give me that one for awhile.
  • If this weight loss keeps going we may have to upgrade from a scooter to an Elliptigo.

Workouts for the week: Weights, spin, and my first tempo run since my last marathon training cycle FUN

No comments:

Post a Comment