Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, January 6, 2019

So I'm Running (and walking and biking and maybe crawling) the Year. Again.

In my last post I talked about all of my goals for 2019..well I recently added another one to the list:  I'm doing that crazy Run The Year thing.



I've done every Run the Year since it started, but I haven't always been consistently conscious about it.  In fact, last year they sent me the medal at the start of the whole thing and my brain went into shut-down mode about it and never thought about it again until I just moved that medal (it's pretty) to my new house.  Good thing I did end up with the right mileage at the end of 2018 or....nothing would have happened, really, except my sister who runs mocking me relentlessly.



Notice that's for all activities, not just running.  That's how I do a "Run" the Year; I tend to count all active miles because I know I'll injure myself if I run every day. By counting all my active miles I can challenge myself to be more active in the activities that I already do.  For example, in 2017 I only biked 470 total miles; in 2018 that number jumped to 810-ish. Now I know some people are really literal about the whole running part of the Run the Year challenge, but if live pigeon shooting was at one time considered an Olympic sport, I can consider counting my miles any way I want, thankyouverymuch.

Speaking of counting, there are definitely some things I did since last we met that could be considered workouts:

1) I did two spin + weight workouts, because of that whole spin addiction thing I've mentioned before plus why not give me more to do every day.  Please note that the hubbs got me a weight rack for Xmas and that the man gets me, he really really gets me.



2) I did a 6 mile "long run" that was in the MyRunPlan app thingie with large dog on a 40 degree (!) January morning where I did not have to wear gloves.  Plus, wearing tights plus a running jacket made me extremely overdressed.

The bigger the tongue, the better the run.

A peak between two vicious little hills

Not too shabby.

I'm really determined not to slack off on the workouts...and I am also determined to think of them this way (props to the I run to drink account on Insta for this).  Let's face it: most of life and what you do in it is all about the proper mental framing.



Now let's frame some learnings:

  • Still having a hard time with sticking to that whole "bedtime" thing.  One thing at a time, I guess.
  • If those Run the Year peeps send me a medal it's going to be hard for me to remember that it's not over already again.
  • The only thing that wasn't awesome about running with large dog in 40 degree weather in January was him dragging me downhill on all the downhills at warp speed.  Again.
  • My quads also think that wasn't awesome of large dog right now as well.
  • It's time to end this post now, because I have to get up early and celebrate what I can do on the treadmill.


Upcoming workouts: Fartleks (lolol) tomorrow morning, of course more spin and weights, and more running.

No comments:

Post a Comment