Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Ramblings about my treadmill run this morning. And many bulleted lists.

It's me again, kids!


As you can tell, my treadmill and I had another hot date in my ugly smelly basement this morning, this time at around 5 AM.  Six easy miles was on the schedule, and I have to admit I was dreading it.  That's because it is a known fact that six easy miles on the treadmill is more accurately measured in eons and epochs rather than minutes and miles, and I suspected I might die of old age while i was trying to get this run done.

So I decided to spice it up with some pick-ups.  Well, actually I first decided to spice it up with some awesome purple shorts.

PURPLE POWER

And THEN I decided that I was going to accentuate my run with some pick-ups. 

I ran the first mile at warm-up pace, ran the second mile at around 10 min pace, and then did the first half of miles 3 through 5 at a 9 minute pace (with the back half of those miles at a 10 minute pace). I am happy to report that a) I made it off the treadmill, b) I am still alive, and c) those pick-ups made the time go by much, much easier.

But during the run I couldn't help but notice my mind wandering off, trying to self-soothe by making up these weird comparative equivalencies to keep myself motivated. It actually wanders off like this a lot, and I thought

  • I have half a mile of this last pickup....that's only two short little loops on the display.
  • I have one more mile left...that's only about 10 more minutes of running.

Of course, those are the more sane ones my brain comes up with when shut up in a basement with a treadmill.  I thought I would share some of my other little running equivalencies I cook up when I'm in a race or outside taking large dog for a spin:

  • I have two more miles left of this hilly run....that's only four more times I have to be dragged downhill by large dog.
  • I have 13 more miles left of this marathon...that's only three more gel snack times until I'm done.
  • I have 20 more miles to go...that's only a puppy every mile that I don't stop.
  • I'm at the start line and I have no motivation to run this race whatsoever...that's only one waste of a race registration and one miserable run ahead of me.


But there's other ways you can spice up a boring treadmill workout other than playing little mental games with yourself.  Here are some other suggestions:

  • Do speed intervals for 20 seconds whenever you hear a certain word in the song you're listening to or movie you're watching.  Whatever that word is, just make sure it's in good taste along with whatever it is you're listening to/watching.
  • Jump off the treadmill every half mile or mile and do some push-ups without permanently injuring yourself.
  • Hum.
  • Crossword puzzles are always a good idea while running to exercise your brain along with your body.
  • For crying out loud get off the treadmill and go outside where it's not boring.

So boring.  Go outside.

And here are some suggestions for learnings from the ramblings above:

  • As usual, I should never write posts when I'm this tired.
  • So many bulleted lists in this post.  So. Many.
  • But boy did that treadmill run go by in the wink of an eye this morning.
  • A really really slow wink of an eye.
  • Please dear lord don't jump off a treadmill or do crosswords while running.  You'll hurt yourself.  FYI.


Tomorrow's workout: Got me a little tempo...it may be on the treadmill or I may go outside and do it where it's not boring, for crying out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment