Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Polar Vortex Post

If you haven't heard lately, it's been a tad cold lately here in Northern Illinois--polar vortex cold.  We're talking temps of -25 to -32 underneath the wind chill.  What, exactly, have I been up to during this polar vortex?  Well...

1) I've been doing the obligatory "throw boiling water up high in the air and make more snow even though we don't really need any more" science trick.  If I don't, they'll revoke my Midwesterner license.

Phase changes are UHMAYZING

2) I've been doing spin and lifting weights in my teal and black sparkle-painted workout room and taking weird selfies with my bike.



3) I've been treadmilling in my smelly basement because even thought there's a polar vortex going on, my shirt says there are "no excuses" so I pretty much have to suck it up, buttercup, and get those miles in amongst the basement smell and other junk we have stored down there.





4) I've been watching the animals sleeping the polar vortex away in between taking them outside and watching them do absolutely nothing before racing back in on frozen paws.

Mom.  Only laying on you will unfreeze my paws.

hyooman sleeping through polar vortex SCRAM

While the animals are sleeping, here's some learnings:

  • Did half-mile pick-ups during my easy 6 mile treadmill run to make it go by faster and turned it into a not-so-easy run because I'm a moron.
  • Remember my left-butt injury?  It's not so bad anymore...must be the spin.
  • Remember my ankle injury?  Yeah neither do I but my ankle has been sore for 2 weeks.  Must be picking up left butt injury's slack.
  • Fun fact:  The ratio of the number of times I have taken the dogs outside to do some business and the # of times they have done absolutely nothing and run back inside on frozen paws is almost 1:1.

Tomorrow's workout: A 4 mile tempo run.  On the treadmill.  Because polar vortex.  BUH.

No comments:

Post a Comment