Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Day 5, Week 3: A weight-lfting FAQ

On Wednesdays, which I have nicknamed "Wednesday weight-days," I have decided I will alternate between Cathe's PHA workout and her Boot Camp workout from her Strong and Sweaty series.  Since I did PHA last week, Boot Camp it was this morning.


Now, a lot of people ask me why I weight train if what I train for is running.  I've had cross country coaches, runner friends, speakers at race expos, and complete random strangers (not really) say that I shouldn't be weight training AT ALL because to get good at running you HAVE to JUST run.

Well, I don't believe that.  I especially don't believe it after I trained for a marathon using a training plan that had me do nothing but run and run and run and I totally bit the dust in mile 12 of the race.  And I ended up so freaking sick of running that I almost quit it altogether.   So, why do I incorporate weights into my overall training plan?  To find out, check out this short FAQ I made for you right off the top of my head to help clear that up:


So, why do you weight train?  You're a runner and a cyclist, in case you didn't know that.

I did know that, actually.  But I weight train because variety in training is the spice of fitness (specifically it's the "all spice"), strength translates to speed and better overall fitness.  Also, I weight train because of cycling - to do 25 mile+ rides, you have to have the strength to hold yourself up in the saddle.

On a more aesthetic note, I love to look like I could totally take down any stranger that messes with me in a dark alley after dark.  If I cared to frequent dark alleys after dark, that is.

How do you know what exercises to even do?

I am lazy and always workout to workout DVDs, where someone does my weight-lifting thinking for me.  If you couldn't tell, Cathe is my complete fave and has been for years.

Why Cathe?

Why not?  Have you seen the guns and legs on that woman???

I've tried workout DVDs before and I can never lift as much weight as they do in the videos.  That means I can't do them, right?

Nope.  Just pick a weight that challenges YOU.  It's about YOUR fitness, and there's no use injuring yourself trying to lift heavier weights than you can handle.  Gradually work up to the poundage they're using in the videos.

What if I have workout DVDs but don't really have the proper space to do them in?

Do them in whatever space you have.  You may have to modify some moves or exercises, but that's OK; it's about getting it done and being consistent in working out.  Just as a reminder - I have an 850 square foot house and I lift weights in my living room surrounded by roaming animals, a very low-hanging ceiling fan, cat trees, living room furniture, and the occasional barbell that jumps in my hands.

My face is all "where did this barbell come from???" 

But what if my muscles get YOOGE?  I'm a girl and big muscles are gross.

No they're not, and whilst your muscles may get a bit swole, you won't get that "gross" look that some people try to avoid.  You just don't have the testosterone for it.

OK.  I've sucked it up and done some weight-lifting DVDs and now I feel like a total badass.  How do I deal with that badass feeling?

Well, you have a few options: you could just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts, you could consider becoming a vigilante and a one-person force of fighting for truth and justice, take lots of flexing selfies and flood social media with them all, or you could just lift more weights to keep that feeling coming.



So, in sum, we've learned:

  • I still love lifting weights
  • Those barbells sure can pop out of nowhere
  • Weight workouts can be done at home, even if you have to pick weights at your own level and modify some exercises to fit the space you have
  • Yes, she did use words like "yooge" and "swole"
  • Strength training improves your overall fitness
  • Terie is bad at writing FAQs


Tomorrow's workout:  Tempo tempo tempo!

No comments:

Post a Comment