Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Day 7, Week 2: Glutes on fire and my barbell love

Confession:  I didn't do my bike ride today.

My busy life got in the way and I just had time for some strength training goodness.  Cathe's Total Body Giant Sets, to be exact.


In this workout, there are six giant sets.  Well, I don't know about giant.  Maybe slightly oversized.  Or a venti, if you will.  Anyway, each set works a different muscle group, according to the description.  But that description is LYING to you. Here's the real deal:


  • Sets #1, 3, and 5:  GLUTES ON FIRE with some deadlifts and lots of exercises where you slide on a slidey thing (said slidey thing can be a disc or a rag...but rags don't slide well on my carpet.)
  • Set #2: Back, including my ultimate fave dumbbell pullovers.  
  • Set #4: Shoulders and chest.  No lateral raises but for cryin' out loud enough with the push-ups, lady
  • Set #6: Whoops almost forgot those triceps and biceps-let's do three quick exercises for them to wrap this workout up


Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the workout.  It's a solid workout, and leaves me feeling worked out, which I think is what a workout is intended to do.  During my last round of half-marathon training, I did this workout every single Saturday and enjoyed it.  I'm just not sure why so much leg work is included other than to get your heart rate up and burn more calories.  And maybe for torture.  I mean, even the cat was shocked at how many leg exercises there were.




As I said, despite the leg abuse I love the workout.  And I love it even more because I get to use my beloved barbell.



Dumbbells are nice, but the barbell makes me feel like a complete badass.  Even if I do only lift no more than 70 pounds with the thing.  I asked for a barbell for Christmas one year, and Santa came through, even if he did get me the cheap one that was at Walmart on clearance the week before he had to shimmy down my chimney.  This cheap one has served me well for a bout 5 years now...maybe because it knows I care.

So barbell today and no bike ride because getting groceries and doing the laundry was way more important.  Tomorrow I have a 20 miler on tap, to be run a minute slower than marathon pace.  Life is going to get in the way again tomorrow, as I have a 5K to run in the morning at my place of work and then a birthday party after that.  The plan right now is to get up super early and get as many miles in before I have to leave for that 5K...I'll let you know if that really happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment