Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, February 25, 2013

Anatomy of a Winter Run

Since I went for a long run of 20 miles yesterday, I thought it might be beneficial to share my winter running "getting ready" protocol with all of you, because none of you asked and I have pictures.  So, without any futher ado, here are...

MY PREPARATIONS FOR A WINTER RUN:

1) Freak myself out about how cold it is going to be outside.
2) Wonder if I should do half of the long run outside and the other half on the treadmill.
3) Decide I am going to run tomorrow, not today.
4) Decide I am going to run today and not totally wimp out.
5) Fart around on the internet for an hour mapping several possible routes based on wind speed and direction.
6) Look outside and think about how cold it is.
7) Finally decide to get dressed.
8) Put on first layer of clothes:

Those are my FAVE purple calf sleeves.


9) Put on second layer of clothes:



10) Put on third layer of clothes:



11) Realize I forgot to put on my hydration backpack and go talk to the hubbs while I'm putting it between my second and third layers, telling him where I'm going.  Watch helplessly as he takes a picture of me adjusting my hose:



12) Take away the hubbs' privilege of sleeping with his phone by the bed.

13) Waffle for about an hour as to what route I want to run.  I usually end up basing my decision on the "least amount of loose dogs" rule.

14) Load up with hand warmers, pepper spray, mittens, 6 gels, my phone, and lip balm.  Bray like a pack mule before putting in headphones.

15) Leave for run.

Overall, it was a pretty good run yesterday.  However, in case you didn't already know, don't ever do a full body weight workout that includes squats and lunges with a loaded barbell the day before a long run.  Why? Because when you do your 20 mile long run the next day your legs will be tired by mile 5 and you'll have to slow down in order to make it to mile 20.

At least the weather was freaking gorgeous for those 20 miles.  I mean, you couldn't ask for better weather on a February day in Illinois:  it was in the upper 20s, no wind, and sunny without a cloud in the sky.  Nothing but blue skies did I see.

And, when I got home, I saw nothing but sunburn in the mirror from the nose downward.  Apparently I forgot that the sun will still give you sunburn in the winter when you're traipsing about outside for almost 4 hours with no sunscreen.  Because I was wearing sunglasses and my balaclava up over my chin, I have red marks that look like a painted on clown face.  It made work today that much more interesting, ("Hey, what happened?  Are you sunburned or did you tie one on before you came to work today?  Is that really "water" in your water bottle?")

Anyhoo.

Tomorrow's workout is 8 x 800m, and it looks like Mother Nature is going back to her cranky self again tomorrow: high winds and snow starting in the morning.  Treadmill Tuesday, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment