Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, February 4, 2013

My shins are whining, my quads are jerks, and my glutes are lazy.

Boy, am I glad my training schedule allows for 2 days of recovery after a long run.  My shins and feet are still feeling those 20 miles I did on Saturday, and I have a bit of a whiny painful "hot spot" on my left shin that I am getting a little concerned about.  Time to massage and ice like crazy.  My quads, however, have been surprisingly quiet since that run.  They're either getting stronger, or they are plotting a quiet mutiny at a later date, probably during the height of my training.  Those jerks.

Anyway, I woke up yesterday with my back hurting the most from my run (I have a weirdo body), so I opted out of any weight lifting yesterday and, for once, decided to be gentle on my body by just doing a 45-minute walk on the treadmill.  Yes, you read that correctly--I typed "walk."  I found that the Hub channel was showing a marathon of Animaniacs cartoons, so I threw those up on the TV in front of my treadmill while doing said walking.  I felt fine during the walk, but dear lord did I feel it about 2 hours later.  Good thing I also decided plyometrics were probably not a great idea the day after a 20-miler, either.

Sometimes I do think smart things, but not often.  Yesterday was one of my smarter days.

Today I felt tons better, so I decided to do a total body routine by Cathe I haven't done in a while called Total Body Tri-sets from her Low-Impact Series.  (I always like to do one total-body workout per week, mainly because of my glutes.  They need abuse.  I still think they're not "firing" correctly, those lazies.)  It has a separate workout for the upper and the lower body regions, and I like the fact that she incorporates the core into this workout so you don't have to slog through a separate ab routine at the end.  Like I've mentioned before, there are a gajillion premixes available on her newer DVDs, so I chose the total body express premix because I felt that only one time through each tri-set (set of three exercises; she makes you do each tri-set twice in each workout) was enough.

Consider my glutes properly abused.  That may be a short premix (48 minutes), but it sure is effective.  Let's just say I'm glad I opted for flats today when I presented about some tech stuff I use in my classroom to some middle school teachers, or I would have given them an impromptu and unplanned lesson in how gravity always wins from atop my high heels.

I would have liked to run today, since it was 33 degrees on the way home (a veritable heat wave this time of year in Illinois) and no wind was feel-able as I got into the car after my presentation.  It was also sunny, which really was a slap in the face from the running gods:



But, alas, it was not in the training schedule.  However, it is tomorrow--Treadmill Tuesday will strike again, with some 800s at 10K pace.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment