Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

All bummed out, part 2

My foot isn't getting any better.  I'm all bummed out again.

When I got up, it wasn't too bad until I tried walking around the house, where the pain on the top of my foot began to get gradually worse the longer I was on my feet.  Later on I tried to run on the treadmill..  I ran for a few minutes at 4.0 mph, and the tendon on my first metatarsal didn't feel so bad.  I then ran for about a minute at 6.0 mph.  It hurt a little bit worse, but not too badly.

And then I stopped running, and the pain really started.  And then I had to face reality and, in the words of Jim Collins, confront the brutal facts (yet never give up hope)  Here are those facts:


  • My foot really freaking hurts.  Right across the dorsal side, and it is hard to pull my big toe up towards my shin.  But it doesn't hurt while I'm just sitting around, and the hurt goes away with massage, so I'm pretty sure it's not a stress fracture.
  • Activities that involve me moving my feet along the ground make it hurt worse.  This includes the cross-training I did today (did Cathe's low-impact workout Afterburn), which pretty much served to make my foot a white-hot ball of pain.  I did try biking on my stationary bike, but the resistance on it is broken, so I'm not getting much of a workout on it.  But I am pain-free while biking.
  • I probably won't be able to run for the rest of the week.  This means skipping this week's workouts entirely, which is what has me bummed the most--all because I didn't loosen my damn laces.
  • I'm going to ice this thing with some serious regularity.  I blasted my foot with ice-cold water for 5 minutes after my shower today, and it seems a little better.  Ice will be my constant companion for the next few days.
  • Massage makes it better.  I was reading (we'll see if it gets me in trouble this time) about friction massage for this type of tendinitis, and it does seem to help, especially if I ice it afterwards.  I'll try anything at this point.


My current plan is to deal with the injury and still make it to the starting line for my marathon.  I would definitely rather give up my time goal just to be able to run it pain-free.

I'm not giving up hope.  Not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment