Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Some serious reflection and then an ugly toe picture.

So I was all up into analyzing my running data this morning (science teacher = we love data of all kinds) on the Garmin Connect website.  Specifically, I was analyzing my first 20 mile run with yesterday's 20 miler:

Click to embiggen.  The first one is on the right.

Considering that I am no speedster, I'd say there has been a distinct improvement in my endurance.  Even though my thighs still feel like blocks of wood by mile 14, I can tell that I have better physical and mental capabilities to keep on trucking.

Comparing this data makes me realize the gains that I've made.  It makes me realize that this training really isn't about making you get to a certain distance.  It's about giving you endurance, confidence, and mental fortitude to get your ass to the finish line after abusing your body for 26.2 miles.

It's about making you stronger all over, inside and out.

Even if I don't make my goal pace of somewhere near 10:00/mile, I'll still walk (run?) away with the satisfaction that I am stronger because of all of this--the runs in sub-freezing temperatures, all of the snot frozen to my face and ice clinging to my eyelashes, all of the dogs chasing me, all of the wind rage experienced in the middle of long-runs, all of the frozen water bottles and pepper sprays up the nose.  

When I cross the finish line it will all be worth it.

But I hope this will be worth it:


I somehow rubbed the inside of that toe raw yesterday on the run, and I have a weird non-painful Achilles popping when I walk upstairs or squat (most likely due to an altered gait because of that damaged toe). Fun!  

No comments:

Post a Comment