Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, March 4, 2013

For every running triumph, there is a huge vortex of suck.

In every life, a little rain must fall.  For every yin, there is a yang.  For me, for every good run, a little bad form must fall.  For every running triumph, there is a huge vortex of suck.

Yesterday I proved to myself that I could run my long runs at race pace.  After that run, one of the tendons in my foot proved that it could be a huge pain in the ass.  As I write this, I am trying to keep an ice pack on the top of my right foot.  After Googling frantically last night, hopping up and down on my foot about 12,000 times, and bending my foot and toes every which way (some of them in ways I'm sure they're not meant to go), I , Dr. Engelbrecht, have made the following diagnosis:

Tendinitis.  (Huge vortex of suck here.)  The prescription?  Rest and stop my moronic self from lacing my shoes too tightly.

I am currently addicted to wearing Mizuno Wave Rider 16s.  I just got a second pair (red) after my first purple pair, I am convinced, has help ease my Achilles suffering.



Yesterday's run was only the second time I have worn these beauties, having tried them out on a speed session earlier last week (these are some very very light shoes).  It was on that day that I realized my laces were a bit snug on my left foot, but I didn't loosen them.

And I didn't loosen them yesterday before my 16 mile run either.  So, kiddos, it's now time for a little lesson from the teacher:

Tight shoe + 16 mile run faster than you've ever run it before = Ooooh girl your tendons are in TROUBLE.

I'm just glad it's not a stress fracture.  To make sure it doesn't become one, I think I may end up cancelling my treadmill session for tomorrow and cross training one more day, especially since the pain was worse when I got up and walked around on it all day. Speaking of cross training, I am trying to make sure I get in weights plus more cardio on those days so I can get the best of both worlds and increase my training volume, as the boys from Run Less, Run faster say.  That means today's Cathextravaganza DVD choice was Athletic Training, a workout I haven't done in a long time.

I forgot how much the cardio portion at the beginning kicks my sweet patootie.  You start with about 20 minutes of low-impact cardio using a step--very simple moves, but very effective.  I felt like I was gargling my heart at the end of that section.  After that, she uses light weights (5-8 lbs), some resistance bands, a firewalker band, and a gliding disc to work all your major muscle groups.  It's a nice workout for the day after a long run because it doesn't kill you, but still gets your heart a-pumpin'.

And I may end up doing the same tomorrow if this tendon thing doesn't clear up.  We shall see what some ice and a good night's sleep can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment