Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Saturday, March 9, 2013

I ran today, and it felt good.

Well, it felt good until about the 5th mile.  Then I started to notice that my foot was still broken.  But only a little bit.

I wasn't stupid enough to think I could do the long run that was scheduled for today (18 miles), so I settled on 6 miles as a nice compromise.  And 6 slow miles.  But the top of my foot was still all sore whenever it got into a shoe, so I did a bit of Googling and decided to lace up the old shoes like this:


I wanted to avoid putting the laces over the part of my foot that hurt.  I also chose a shoe that is a stability shoe rather then my normal neutral shoes. And away to the treadmill I went.

Like I said, I didn't feel it until the 5th mile, where it started to become a bit more noticeable.  All those days off from running this week were probably a good thing.  But afterwards, I made sure to do this:


That water, for the record, was *BLEEP*ing cold.  And my foot was noticeably more sore afterwards, and I can't really lift my big toe very well.  It's amazing how much you don't realize how much you actually do that while running.

I also broke down and took some ibuprofen after the icing extravaganza, and it's feeling pretty good right now.  I wish I could find the naproxen I was prescribed once for a neuroma--if I do, I'll be popping those babies for sure.

I think I will follow my training schedule and do cross training for the next two days, and see about picking up some speed work on the treadmill starting on Tuesday.  Maybe some biking, maybe some weights...but for sure taking it easy on this foot.  I want to be ready for my first 22 miler a week from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment