Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Day 3, Week 8: Seriously reconsidering my race priorities.

This morning was some speed work.



The My Run Plan app made me do some 200s really fast, then run 3 miles, and then do more 200s really fast.

Why are some not green?  Who knows.  Only the app knows.

I have to say this about recording my workouts in the app - it is nice to be told when to run and when to walk.  Probably because it's nice for once not to be the one doing the telling-what-to-doing, and probably because that means I'm not obsessively looking at the distance on my watch and frantically doing yucky math in my head.

Anyway, the morning was foggy, which translates to humid, which then translates to one sweaty runner.





But while the run was nice, that injury I mentioned in a previous post (how my left butt and back are kind of sore all the time) was really rearing its ugly head--and not only this morning, but also whilst I was on the treadmill Sunday evening.  The pain kept twanging away at odd intervals during the run this morning so much so that I ran the middle three miles way slower than the app wanted me to and I cut the cool down short by a mile.  The only thing that gave me any relief was blasting the aforementioned left butt and back with ice-cold water for a full 5 minutes at the end of my shower.

Yeah.  I don't know what's going on, but I'm thinking about rearranging my race priorities.  How much rearranging I'm going to do depends on how the rest of the week goes.  Here are some options for rearrangement:

1) Stop running for one week, but still lift weights and cycle like crazy.  This whole butt and back thing just bothers me when I'm running-not walking or cycling, so I'm thinking this is a good first option.
2) Still train for my marathon and duathlon, but prioritize the duathlon and give up any time goal for the marathon.  So, in other words, just run really slowly and distances to survive a marathon but really train for the shorter running distances in my duathlon.
3) Give up training for the marathon and just focus on the duathlon.
4) Just stop blogging right now and start sobbing at the thought of giving up training for either of these races.
5) Make up new swear words to direct at my nagging, painful left butt and back while I sit on the couch every day not working out.

Again, I'm going to see how this week goes, and if my left butt and back can't behave, option #1 is going to be seriously considered.  Along with a lot more showers that end with a whole lot of cold water blasted on body parts.

Tomorrow's workout: Cycling.  In the dark.  Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment