Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Day 5, Week 7: The Six Stages of Speed Work.

This morning I had some speed work show up in the ol' Runner's World My Run Plan app: a 3 x 2000m workout.




In case the "2K" isn't familiar to you, that's shorthand for 2000m repeats.  That's also shorthand for "holy crap that's 1.25 miles and I have to run three of those suckers." Seeing that sent me spiraling through the stages of speed work.  What stages of speed work, you ask?  Well, let me list them out for you:

STAGE #1: DENIAL

"Speed work again? Nononononononononono  NO"




STAGE #2: ANGER

"Speed work I hate you so much I will SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU"




STAGE #3: BARGAINING

"Maybe I'll just do this after work.  Or only do two of those repeats.  Or none of them and just do the warm-up and cool-down.  Or not do it at all.  Yeah."


STAGE #4: DEPRESSION

*checks weather for the day* It's going to be too hot to do this workout later in the day.  I'm going to have to do it right now.... *silent sobbing*




STAGE #5: ACCEPTANCE

"OK DAMMIT IMMA GONNA GO DO IT STOP PRESSURING ME....but I need to take selfies first."




And finally...

STAGE 6: CELEBRATION

Got 'er done.  Woot.  And in paw-print running shorts, no less.





Tomorrow's workout: Some heavy lifting of some heavy weights. Woot.


No comments:

Post a Comment