Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Accountability...BUH

I told you I was doing Cathe's Boot Camp from her Strong & Sweaty Series this morning, and I did.  I also put the "camp" in "boot camp."



As per usual, I had to deal with animals invading my workout space.

Carry on...just passing through.

You know what else I've had to deal with lately?  My freaking weight.

I've been a part of a Biggest Loser competition at work, which has helped me keep on top of weighing myself on the regular.  I have been working out (duh), eating more veggies (still BUH about that), and really watching my portions....and I haven't lost one damn pound.

Not one.  So disappointing.

I don't know what's going on.  But I do know this only happens when I'm training for a marathon and have a habit of running high mileage.  And everything I have researched thoroughly by googling for approximately 5 minutes about gaining weight during marathon training says that the cause of my weight gain is the following:

I'm eating way too much freaking food.

This cause seems a bit odd to me, mainly because I feel like I've been doing just fine in regards to not stuffing my face and using my mileage as an excuse to eat an entire jar of spinach dip with an entire loaf of bread.  But I'm a former science teacher, so I know better than just to trust "feelings" as data.  So I've decided the following:

  • I have to keep a log of what I'm eating for two weeks - a log of everything I shove down my gullet.  I will use MyFitnessPal because of the following very complicated scientific reasons:  I have used it before and it talks to Garmin Connect.  I will then analyze the data to see if I am indeed overeating and need to cut it back, jack.
  • I will ignore the fact that I made an awesome shrimp chowder this weekend that involved two types of creamed soups + evaporated milk and eat something less heart-attack-inducing.
  • I will only eat when I am hungry.  And when I want to eat I will get up and take a few laps around the building in which I work and bother people whilst they are trying to do their work.
  • I will weigh myself daily and not freak out when the scale swings up 3 pounds in one day like it did this past weekend and my scream woke up a sleeping husband in my house.
  • I will go easy on myself.  Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint...har de har har.


I'm going to try and post a weekly update on how the food tracking accountability is going.  It will probably go just like me forcing myself to eat veggies every day goes.  Specifically, it goes BUH.

Learnings.  BUH:

  • Confronting the brutal facts of my eating is the only way.  Although I haven't been eating brutally...so so we'll find out.
  • Oh the agony of dogs wandering through my workout area during chest flies (flys? ugh).
  • It's almost as agonizing as when a husband wanders through and I nail him right in the shin with a 12 lb weight.
  • How'd you like my use of a different definition of the word "camp?"  Eh? Eh?  My junior year English III teacher would be proud.
  • Life is too short not to take stupid post-workout photos.


Tomorrow's workout:  5 mile tempo!  In the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment