Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, February 18, 2018

My fitness confessions.

Yesterday I managed to complete my 13 mile long run, although not all at one time.


I had every intention of doing the run outside, the first 8 miles with large dog and then the last 5 miles by myself.  But after 1.5 miles this thing called "snow" started coming down pretty thick and heavy, and even large dog kept looking at me with snow plastered over his face like, "Really, woman?  Let's go inside."  So we did after getting in 3 miles.  And then I rented another movie on my Kindle (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) and hopped on the 'mill for 10 miles which, after doing 15 miles on the thing on previous long run excursions, seemed like a pretty short run. 

Sick, I know.  But marathon training does this to a person.  It also makes a person run in tie-dye shoes to make the run that much brighter.


Gaze upon their awesomeness.

Today I have some upper-body strength training planned--both workouts from Cathe's Lift It, Hit It strength DVDs, only with two sets per exercise plus some abs.  I have to confess that I look forward to my weight workouts more than my running workouts most days, mainly because the suffering of lifting heavy weights is over long before the suffering of an intense running workout ever is.  Don't get me wrong, I love running, but it's nice to know that not every day will be a day of "how many more miles??? I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT" suffering.  As a matter of fact, I have a lot more little workout confessions like this.  Let's list them out, shall we?


  • I also wear bright colored clothing for running on the treadmill even though no one sees my outfit except for my animals.  They are also the ones to see my treadmill anguish.


Mile repeats again?!?  WHYYYY

  • When I have a long run to do on the treadmill I stop a little too often to blow my nose or take a drink of water.  Please note that I do these things WHILE running when I'm outside.
  • I never, EVER want to do a long run.  Ever.  But I always tell myself just to do 3 miles and see how I feel...and I always feel like a wimp if I quit after 3 miles.  Self-shaming - it's how I get those runs done.
  • I always walk my recoveries during speed workouts.  Don't judge me.
  • I know I need to back off all the running when I am at the starting line of a marathon and I realize my brain just said, "Uuuuuuugggghhhh I don't want to do this" before I even realize it.  That's why I started dropping to half-marathon training during the summer (and because it's too freaking hot to run 20 milers).
  • Push-ups.  I can't stand them.  They are on par with how I feel about mile repeats.
  • The main reason I take large dog with me running is so my house doesn't get destroyed and my underwear isn't ripped from the laundry basket and scattered around the house while I shower each morning.
  • And finally, I always do way too much intense leg work the day before a long run and struggle to hit my target pace during the run.  Because I'm a moron.

They say confession is good for the soul.  But I'm not sure if my soul is in any way healed from writing that list.


And now, the learnings:

  • I meant to post last night, but it was a crazy day and I fell asleep in the chair.  
  • I also meant to make a huge deal about the fact that I got the exercise bike put together (thanks, hubbs) and can't wait to use it, but I will wait until I actually use it to bore everyone to death about it.


BFFs

  • When large dog begs me to go inside during a run, you know the weather is bad.
  • One last confession - I really, really need spring to come so I don't have to do long runs on the treadmill anymore.


Tomorrow's workout: Speed!  12 x 400m, lawd help me.



No comments:

Post a Comment