Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Friday, February 9, 2018

New shoes I don't need and a random act of kindness.

If you're one of those two or three people that read this blog, you're probably expecting some stupid and facetious garbage about the weight workout I did this morning, accompanied by a really bad workout photo. Well, there won't be any facetious ramblings, but there will be a bad photo:

Mmmm barbell.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to what I want to write about: what happened when I bought another pair of running shoes I didn't really need at Dick's Sporting Goods tonight.

Brooks Revels WOOT

I was intrigued by this new-to-me Brooks Revel, it being a neutral shoe and all, and after running at top speed like a complete moron around the back of the store for 5 minutes I decided to pull the trigger and get a pair.  After checking out their so-called clearance section (always too expensive to really be clearance), I made my way to the front of the store to check out before I decided to buy something else I didn't need. 

I got in line behind an older gentleman that was purchasing a variety of sporting-goodsy things.  He looked back and me and I smiled at him and said hello.  He noticed I had a shoe box under my arm, and asked me if I was buying a pair of Brooks.  "Yes," I said, hoping he couldn't read my mind and find out how many pairs of Brooks I already had.

"Here--see if you can use any of these coupons."  He handed me one of those sheets of coupons you get in the mail from Dick's, the ones that are specific to apparel purchases, footwear purchases, etc.  These are the kind I always stick in my purse and then can never find again because my purse is probably a gateway to another dimension where aliens are wondering where the hell all these little squares of paper are coming from.  Anyway, I thanked him, yanked off a coupon that gave you $10 a footwear purchase, and thanked him again for his generosity.  And then he went on his way, and I bought my shoes, feeling better now about justifying the purchase to the hubbs because hey-10 DOLLARS OFF, HUBBS!

So why am I making a big deal about some random person throwing me a coupon?  Well, because I've had some experiences over the past few years with other humans on this planet that haven't made me think very highly of other humans in general. (Except if you're reading this blog - then I think you're the best.  Honest.)  And don't even get me started on what we call a government these days.  As a result of all these experiences and me stupidly watching the news every night, my mantra over the past 6 months has pretty much been "most people are shit." (Excuse my French.) It's been really, really hard for me to see the good in people, and it's been a personal daily struggle.  This little blog where I can be stupid and silly and pretty much my real self has helped, but since I don't blog in front of a computer for a living and have to interact with real humans most of the day it's only a band-aid for my overall bad attitude.

But then this itty bitty little act of kindness comes along and scrubs off a little of that bad attitude.  It's the small acts that do the greatest good; I should know that from all my years of teaching and working with students.  But even a former teacher needs to re-learn some lessons, I guess.

And you know what you should have learned by now?  That when there's too much seriousness going on in the post, it's time for a random picture of one of my animals to lighten the mood:

Did someone call for some cute?

Ahh....that's better.

Bad attitude learnings:

  • I didn't mean to get so serious, but hey--sometimes it has to happen.
  • And that is one serious picture of me and my barbell.  I miss it so during the week when I just use dumbbells.
  • Just like life is too short to wear boring clothing, life is too short not to buy running shoes you don't need.
  • Life is also too short to harbor a perpetual bad attitude towards people.  I'm working on it.
  • Having cute animals helps me work on that, by the way.


Tomorrow's workout: The training plan says 20 miles, but the weather says "good luck with that because it's going to snow all morning."  Time to find my Yak Trax....


No comments:

Post a Comment