Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Don't mind me; I'm just having a little pre-marathon freak-out.

I fully intended to do some yoga this morning.  Really.

But then I realized I wanted to listen to my scary stories while working out, and usually doing that sort of thing during yoga is frowned upon.  So instead I hopped on the stationary bike for a quick 30 minute sweaty low-impact ride in my teeny tiny biking space.

Because doors are a common occurrence on an outdoor course.

I enjoyed both of my scary stories immensely, by the way.  In case you're interested in listening to someone read you scary stories because it's fun to listen to them while you're running at dark o'clock in the morning, my favorite is the NoSleep Podcast because the sound quality is the best and the stories are all pretty much awesome and do keep me up at night on a regular basis.

But enough about my podcast obsessions.  I mentioned yesterday that I have a marathon on Sunday, and I'm kind of freaking out about it.  It's in Toledo (the Glass City Marathon), and even though I've run this marathon every year since 2013, I'm still panicking a bit. Small dog has captured on his outsides how I feel on the inside.

You're running a marathon....are you going to die?

I'm freaking out because I really want to hit at least one of those goals I wrote yesterday (even the last one would be acceptable if all else fails).  And while I'm freaking out about that, I thought it would be nerve-calming to share with you some other things I'm freaking out about, which are my usual pre-marathon freak-outs:

  • Tights, capris, or shorts? (decisions, decisions)
  • Will I forget to bring my gels and then have to scavenge some at the expo like I normally do? (most likely)
  • Why did I sign up to run the 5K the day before the marathon!?!? (Because there was no 10K)
  • Will I remember to bring pajamas? (No.)
  • Can I convince the twin sis (who is going with to run the half marathon) to learn to love my scary story podcast as much as I do? (Highly unlikely)
  • What if it's windy on race day?!?!? (Suck it up, buttercup)
  • What if I don't put on enough body glide? (Uh-oh)
  • What if I eat too much fiber the night before? (Dear lord no don't let that happen)
  • Will I remember that running a marathon is hard and it's going to freaking hurt in the last 10K? (Gosh I hope so)
  • And finally....will I repeat "what doesn't kill me will get me a PR?" over and over again in my head for 26.2 miles? (Absolutely, probably through tears at some point)


I may be wrong, but I'm probably worrying just a tad too much.  I'll need to take the freaking-out down a notch or two and chill out...maybe to this level:

Super chill zone.

OK, maybe too much.  But there's never too much when it comes to learnings:


  • Seriously-check out the NoSleep Podcast if you want some good scary stuff read to you once a week.
  • If I had a nickel for every time I forgot to pack pajamas....I'd have a lot of nickels.
  • I have to remember to take it easy during the 5K on Saturday.  No one wants a repeat of what happened in Ft. Worth where I was having a tantrum by mile 14 after going out too hard on the 10K the day before.
  • Tights, capris, or shorts? Probably capris.
  • I kept mistyping the word "shorts" as "whorts" and I was laughing my head off during the entire post.
  • Could I have any more bullet points in this post?  Absolutely.


Tomorrow's workout: 3 miles at marathon pace.  Easy peasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment