Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, April 15, 2018

I got more workout than I wanted today.

Let's start off this post with two things:

Thing #1: I found my awesome Stridebox head scarfy-thing that is a collage of all the stickers you get in each box.

I do love a busy head scarfy-thing.

Thing #2: The dumbest weather I have ever seen in April in northern-almost-Wisconsin-Illinois.

SO DUMB

Now that I got those out of the way, let's talk about my workout.  I had planned on doing a bike ride on the stationary bike and then a weight workout, but I got busy cleaning and cooking and baking a cake that expressed my feelings about having to clean, cook, and the state of my cake decorating skills:

Buh indeed.

So I just ended up wanting to do a weight workout.  As I scanned my copious amounts of Cathe workouts, I realized I just wanted something light and easy, seeing as how my marathon is this Sunday and all.  So I settled on Cathe's Low Impact Cardio/Metabolic Conditioning workout from her latest Fit Split series, seeing as I've never done it before and it had the word "low" in it, so it must have been pretty super easy, right?  Right.



Yeah.  Wrong.  Let me give you the run down of each part of this workout:

Low Impact Cardio: Low impact?  Yes.  Cardio?  Only in the part where you're not using a gliding tool of some kind (I have sliding discs).  Once the gliding tools came out, my heart rate plummeted.  Which made me sad because I was really enjoying the non-gliding part, which moved quickly between moves that were fun and interesting. What helped redeem the part where I was sliding around on large yellow discs was the fact that she had some nice ab moves towards the end (hellooo dragging plank) that are making my abs whine at me at this very moment.

Metabolic Conditioning:  This is a lower-weight workout (the heaviest weight Cathe uses is 15 pounds) that had a nice variety of moves and worked all the major muscle groups.  Cathe uses a lot of compound exercises that work both legs and upper body so your heart rate does get up there a bit.  However, if you're looking for a workout that is going to help you get yooge and swole, this is not the one for you.  For a tapering runner like me, this is kind of the perfect weight workout.  Again, I liked that Cathe incorporated the abs in the last few exercises so I didn't have to internally sob about doing a completely separate ab workout.  Thanks, Cathe!

Overall, I got a decent workout...more workout than I really wanted to do.  Which is way more of a workout than these slugs got:

They're just in prolonged recovery.

But the workout situation today is what it is. Whatever that "is" is.


And these learnings are what they are:

  • Head scarfy-things.  I'm kind of addicted to them now.
  • Everyone needs to have some BUH cake once in a while.  My BUH cake is white with chocolate frosting.
  • I plan on eating the "B" of the cake first so eventually it will be an UH cake.
  • I kind of dug doing a little cardio and a little weights in one workout.  I'll have to do this workout again.
  • Female cat appeared after the workout was over, and here mere presence is a sign of approval.




Tomorrow's workout: Only a 6 x400 and lots of worrying about my marathon on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment