Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, November 13, 2017

Day 2, Week 11: 10 things I've learned from doing Cathe's workouts.

I did my typical Monday workout thing and hit the heavy weights.  I was going to do a different upper body workout but my hands had put Cathe's Ramped Up Upper Body in the DVD player before I realized it so my subconscious decided for me.  I had no choice.

Whilst I was trying to endure through some chest flys in this workout (flyes? flies? Someone clue me in on the proper plural for this) and focus on proper form, I realized I have learned a lot from Cathe's workouts over the past 4 years...and I decided to share some of the more important points with the fitnessblogosphere.  And away we go:


Things you learn when you do nothing but Cathe Friedrich workouts for 4 straight years


1) You learn that any woman can do these workouts.

One thing I've always admired about Cathe's workouts is that there are real women in them.  Yes, these real woman are also yooge and strong, but their bodies look attainable, unlike some other videos I'm tried.  And I don't know about you, but if I'm doing a workout video and I don't think what I'm doing in the workout will actually make me look like any of the people in it, I tend to not do the workout anymore.

Also, Cathe gives a lot of good modifications for some of the intense exercises so they can be done by anyone.  As far as the weight workouts, lower the weights if what Cathe is using is too heavy for you at first.


2) You learn that when she says "This is your last set!" that sometimes she is LYING.

I have learned to dread the word "bonus" during a Cathe workout.


3) You learn you can do anything for 16 reps/30 seconds/1minute/twice in one workout.

Cathe pushes you, plain and simple.  When I first started doing her workouts, I couldn't do all of the reps/sets/repetitions.  But I did what I could, and learned I could get to the goal, even if I had to modify at first.  Come into these workouts with a growth mindset and you will learn you can accomplish anything.


4) Push-ups.  So many push-ups.

The woman loves her push-ups.  All kinds.  It makes my pecs cry just to think about it.  Remember those chest flys (flyes? flies?) I was talking about earlier?  Give me 1000 of those over push-ups on any given Monday.


5) The equipment needed for the workouts is worth the money.

I'll be the first to admit that some of the workouts require an excessive amount of equipment, some of it expensive (do you know how much a 30 lb dumbbell costs???).  At first I just didn't buy some of the more expensive stuff (like the club step) and modified as needed, but eventually, after I bought the equipment, I found that it was worth it in terms of results.  Plus it's really hard to do step aerobics on a step stool, if you know what I mean.


6) Along with all those crazy push-ups, Cathe will nail your triceps to the wall.

I think that sometimes the tricep exercises border on the excessive (High Reps especially), but my triceps are stronger than ever.  Can't argue with the results; only the mental anguish during the workout.


7) No matter what you do there will be a husband trying to embarrass you by taking pictures of you during the workout.

Which I intentionally make worse because by God I'll show him just how embarrassing I can be.



8) No matter how hard you work out in my house, there will always be an animal judging you.  Always.

Hyooman.  Not good enough.  Ever.



9) Re: #7 - Cathe's workouts work.

If you challenge yourself during the workout, you'll get results from Cathe's workouts.  End of story.


10) Large dog will always make a mockery of your workout by sleeping right through it.




And, in sum:


  • This post was totally meant to be serious but yet again devolved into facetious garbage by the end.
  • Writing "top ten things" lists is obviously not my strong point, just like FAQ writing.
  • If you workout in my house, you better get used to all the animals roaming around.  And judging.
  • Seriously, Cathe's workouts are worth it.  Go buy some.


Tomorrow's workout: A speed workout I can get behind-- a 10 x 400!

No comments:

Post a Comment