Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Day 3, Week 13: My running guilty pleasures which may or may not include jazz hands.

This morning I just hung around on my treadmill and did a little speed work.

Managed to convince the cat to get some exercise, too.

It was a 5 x 1000m repeat session, which I breezed through unlike last week's 8 x 800m workout.  This is because I was smart enough to crank up my headphones this time so as to not hear how badly my lungs were wheezing their way through those 1000s.  I also did not watch the little dot move slowly around the track for the entire workout, and instead actually looked up at the TV every once in a while.  One thing I did do during my recoveries (200m of walking) was start singing to whatever song was on my headphones, which accidentally woke up the hubbs.  Here's the exchange we had after he came downstairs to find out what the heck was happening:

Hubbs:  What was that noise?  Is everything OK?!?

Me: What noise?  The treadmill?

Hubbs: No; the other noise.  The high-pitched irritating noise I just heard.

Me: ........you mean when I was singing?

Hubbs: .*turns around and walks back upstairs*


I felt so guilty about waking him up I took a post-run mugshot.

WANTED: Singing horribly while running

(Confession: I didn't really feel guilty.  This is the same man that wakes me up almost every night by yelling at the dogs not to tromp on me and wake me up.  And those dogs don't feel guilty about that at all.  See evidence on non-guilt below.)

Guilt level: ZERO

Singing on the treadmill is one of my running guilty pleasures.  I know other runners have their own guilty pleasures, but here's the rest of those little things I love to do that I would never actually do when not dressed in running gear:

  • Sneakily pacing someone during a race.  I know I can ask to run with people and most will gladly oblige, but I do like being in stealth pace mode for some reason.
  • Snot rockets.  Lots of snot rockets.
  • Counting how many people are wearing colored tights vs. black tights during a race.  This helps the time pass by a little easier.
  • Justifying a new running shoe purchase with "BUT I HAVE A MARATHON COMING UP AND I NEED THEM" (To which the correct reply is "You always have a marathon coming up!")
  • Listening to lots of dance/club remixes of songs while running and always being one second away from head-titling to that dance beat like the SNL Roxbury guys.
  • Justifying buying a slew of new dance club remixes from iTunes with "BUT I HAVE A MARATHON COMING UP" (see the correct reply above)
  • Continually signing up for marathons.
  • And finally....post-run jazz hands.


In front of caricatures of me and da hubbs, no less.

Prepare yourself for the learnings coming at you right now:

  • I'm convinced the only reason hubbs puts up with my running quirks is the fact that he ran cross country in high school.  
  • I also tell hubbs he has to put up with my running stuff because it was in the wedding vows but he just doesn't remember it
  • How do other runners not snot rocket during a cold race?  If I don't I will suffocate on my own phlegm.
  • Any purchase that is related to running is always justified.  Because I said so.


Tomorrow's workout: A weight workout of some kind.  I'll probably be stupid and do some Boot Camp, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment