Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Day 3, Week 10: I did mile repeats this morning and now I need a hug.

I do love speed work.  I really, really do.  I've told you all this before.

Except when I see "3 x 1600m" on the training plan.  The dreaded mile repeats.  When I see those on my plan I collapse in front of my treadmill and ask the running gods what I have done to deserve this fate. (Answer = be the idiot that signed up for a marathon)

WHYYYYYYYYY

Notice how the animals are acting like this is perfectly normal.  Because it is.  Not really.

But the important thing here is that I did it.  I got through it.  Because as much as I hate mile repeats, I know they're good for me and I will be thanking myself for doing them in mile 23 of my marathon when I just want to sit down and swear at other runners stepping over me.

How did I get through it, you ask?  Well, I do turn on the TV in front of the treadmill so I don't experience visual hallucinations by staring at a blank wall the entire time.  But for a mentally tough workout like this, my music is a must-have.  Let me now reveal the musical motivation I used this morning on the 'mill:

1. Shape of You (Major Lazer Remix) - Ed Sheeran
2. You Can Cry Tomorrow - Betty Who
3. Thinking About You (feat. Ayah Marar) - Calvin Harris
4. California Love - 2Pac
5. How Will I Know (Junior Vasquez Club Mix)
6. HandClap - Fitz & The Tantrums
7. Adventure of a Lifetime - Coldplay
8. Most Girls - Hailee Steinfeld
9. E.T. - Katy Perry
10. Sounds Good to Me - Nelly
11. Classic - MKTO
12. Temple -  BlasterJaxx
13. 24K Magic - Bruno Mars
14. Cheap Thrills - Sia (feat. Sean Paul)
15. Flawless (Go to the City) - George Michael

As you can see, it's a pretty eclectic (eccentric?) mix.  However, all of these songs get my running mojo going and helps me overcome the mental anguish that is mile repeats for me.

And because I made it through the workout this morning, I think I deserve a hug.  I'm going to go find one now.



Free hugs and learnings below:

  • I do need hugs after a mile repeat session.  That and mounds of chocolate.
  • Anyone that does mile repeats deserves a hug.  After they towel off first, though.
  • Sweaty runner hugs make the world go 'round.  FYI.
  • Doesn't everyone wear a visor on the treadmill?
  • I find that there is a direct relationship between the vapidity of a song and how much I like to run to it.


Tomorrow's workout: Some peripheral heart action goodness with Cathe

No comments:

Post a Comment