Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Day 1, Week 10: Getting ready for crappy winter running--My fave gear

As you are probably already aware, I did my 20 mile long run yesterday because the weather forecast said there would be thunderstorms today.  Well, those storms never materialized and it didn't rain all damn day.  In fact, the sun even came out for about 5 minutes this afternoon when I would have been running on any regular Sunday, which I considered to be a photon-filled guffaw at me from Mother Nature.

Me being just a mere mortal, the only thing I could do was shake my fists angrily at the sky.


And the next only thing I could do was go inside and do my weight workout, which was my usual Ramped Up Upper Body from Cathe's Strong & Sweaty Series.  My legs were pretty happy about being left alone today, since they were (and are) still pretty tight from the 20 miles yesterday.  In fact, my calves are so angry about yesterday they refused to help me get down the stairs this morning.  Those jerks.

Anyway, since the weather is starting to turn cooler and we'll be running with 3 feet of snow piled up on each side of the road before we know it, I thought this would be a good time to share my favorite winter running gear.  This is my go-to gear, the gear that helps me keep all my fingers on sub-zero runs and, more importantly, keeps my butt warm.  Below are pictures of each piece of gear with a reason why I love it so much for winter running...and sometimes a bonus dog photobomb.

1) Brooks thermal running underwear.  This, along with body heating patches on each cheek, keep said cheeks toasty and warm during those long winter sub-zero runs.  Because nothing is worse than being 6 miles away from you house with your sweet patootie frozen for those last 6 miles.




2) C9 base layer tights (found at Target).  These are really thin but I love to wear them under fleece running pants.  These aren't as bulky as regular tights to wear under another layer of clothing, so they don't make me feel like my legs are wrapped in layers of foam padding while trying to run and not freeze to death.


3) Speaking of fleece pants, these are my faves.  They are some no-name brand that I found at TJ Maxx one day in their athletic section; I wish I could tell you the brand but it's been all worn off from many cold runs.  But you can rest assured I'm always warm in my pair, even if you can't find any.

The dog arranged the pants that way.  I went with it.
4) If it's in the 30s when I'm out running about, I like to wear my Reebok thermal base layer with my Saucony Sonic Reflex reflective jacket.  The base layer is thick enough to keep you warm, and the jacket has vents in the arms and armpits to cool you off.  The bonus is that the jacket is completely reflective, so when you fart around and get outside later than you planned on those short winter days, you can run in the dark with a little more confidence.  Well, as long as you remembered to bring a headlamp with you, that is.


Dog approved.  

5) If it's below freezing, you can find me running in my Nike running jacket. This thing has pockets freaking everywhere, and I don't have to wear any type of belt when I run in this beauty. (Especially if I'm wearing my hydration backpack - that backpack fits under this jacket nicely to keep your water from freezing.) It's also warm, which, you know, is a plus when you're running in polar vortices.



6) Let's talk about winter accessories.  People-I cannot say enough about the mittens pictured below.  My fingers never get cold EVER in these gloves, and they have little pockets on the top for stashing whatever you'd like.  I prefer to stash hand warmers in there so I don't lose fingers to frostbite.

I also cannot say enough about the Saucony face mask/balaclava for saving your face during cold runs.  Top it off with a warm fuzzy hat with a pom-pom on top, and it's the perfect running combo for keeping your head parts warm.





So where can you buy all of these items?  Well, unfortunately, I got these items a few years ago and I don't think they sell the exact same items any longer.  However, the fact that I have used these items for so long tell you how high quality they are (although they are much stinkier than when I got them, I will admit), so you may want to check out what Nike, Saucony, and Brooks have for winter running gear for sale right now.

Or, if Brooks, Nike, or Saucony are too expensive for you, head on over to TJ Maxx or Target like I usually do and scrounge through their athletic wear section.  Not as easy as browsing a web site, but you do get that whole "thrill of the hunt" feeling when you find something you can use to prevent losing body parts during winter runs.


And today we have learned the following:

  • I have a lot of stinky winter running clothing.
  • The dogs thought this was a photo shoot for them and were all "why are you throwing all these clothes on the floor woman?!?"
  • I once found a Boston Marathon jacket at a TJ Maxx for 20 bucks.  Just thought you needed to know that.
  • If my fingers get cold or my butt gets chilled during a run, I pretty much break down on the inside during the run and it's all I can do not to call the hubbs to come get me.  I'm a winter running wimp.
  • After I took the pic of me being all angry at the sky I got a text from a neighbor asking me if everything was OK.


Tomorrow's workout:  3 mile easy run.  If the weather isn't lying to me again, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment