Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Friday, May 18, 2018

I hope other people realize they can do it, too.

I went cycling for 18.5 miles this morning in this cutting-edge cycling ensemble:

Oooo cycling sexy

In case you need a fashion breakdown of this outfit, I'm wearing a blue cycling helmet with an obnoxiously green cycling jersey.  That awesomely green monstrosity is paired with my fave Zoot triathlon shorts which are pulled on over the thinnest purple-patterned running tights ever because I happen not to own any cycling tights or capris.  And I had on my sexy black shoe covers over my white bike shoes (which did not prevent my toes from becoming so cold I thought their temperature would be better measured in Kelvins).

Mmmm.  Your jealousy of my cycling fashion style is palpable.

Anyway, this is the outfit that passing motorists get the pleasure of seeing because I always get dressed in a hurry and I completely prioritize getting new pocket running shorts over any kind of cycling gear.  Priorities, people.

Anyway, enough about my atrocious cycling wear choices--how did the ride go?  Besides riding straight into the wind for the first 6 miles or so, pretty good...and it seems I'm getting my fast back.  Happy to be in that 17 mph range again, especially for an 18 miler at this point.



You know what else makes me happy?  Just being able to stumble out of my house at 5 AM and get on the bike and bust out over 18 miles while watching the sun come up as I huff and puff into the wind.  It also makes me happy that I can run all the miles and get dragged into ditches when large dog is with me.  I'm happy I can sign up for a marathon on a whim and just run it without a thought as to whether or not I could actually finish it, because I know I can (especially if the finisher medal is super cool!).  I'm happy I can do mud runs and duathlons and make a fool of myself in any duathlon transition because I never ever practice mounting or dismounting my bike.  I'm happy I can do all of these things now, because this girl never ever could:

Who is that?  OH THAT WAS ME

Facebook reminded me of this picture yesterday, and I've been thinking about that woman in the picture ever since.  How one day she decided changes needed to be made, and by God they were made that day...small changes that led to my running and cycling and my bad fitness photos on Instagram and this facetious little blog.  But one other thought keeps cropping up over and over again:

She would have eaten an entire bag of Doritos and several bags of chocolate candy before even THINKING about cycling 18.5 miles before work.  And I'm pretty sure she would have smoked at least 2 cigarettes first, too.

While those thoughts are kind of obvious from looking at the picture, another thought keeps rearing its ugly head as well:

I hope other people realize they can do it, too.

Whatever "it" is will differ from person to person, as we all have our own weight-loss challenges.  For some people losing weight is harder than others for various reasons.  But whatever the goal, I hope everyone knows they can do it, whatever your "it" is, even if you don't think you can right now.  It may take a long time to get that "it," but it will come if you work at it.

And since this seriousness-o-meter on this post has reached full tilt, it's time for a random pic of my animals:

"Once we can feed ourselves we can kill the hyoomans."

And it's time for some silly little learnings:

  • I meant what I said when it may take a long time to reach your goals; that picture was taken in 2004 and I'm still working on stuff.  It's always a work in progress, kids.
  • I didn't think I would ever feel my right foot after this morning's cold ride.  
  • Your jealously of my cycling fashion style is palpable.
  • Your fear of my cats conspiring is not palpable, but entirely justified.


Tomorrow's workout: A 7 mile "long" run, 3 of which will be a 5K race with large dog.  Stay tuned for pics and no seriousness whatsoever!

No comments:

Post a Comment