Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, May 27, 2018

It was a triple-threat of a workout day today

Today was a triple-threat kind of workout day, with some biking, some running, and some strength training.

Biking, running, and lifting OH MY

The bike ride, however, was the highlight of the morning.  Well, mainly it was a highlight because of the simple fact that I didn't die for almost 25 miles.

Not dying - WIN


Besides not dying, here are the other reasons I'd like to highlight to make the case that this ride was a highlight:


  • I didn't melt.  The high for the day was 95, so that forced me out at 7 AM for the ride (and the one mile run I did right off the bike).  Even though it was in the 70s at that point, the sun was pretty intense and I was pouring sweat droplets off the front of my helmet by mile 15.  Which, if you didn't know, sometimes makes it hard to see where you're going when those droplets hit your sunglasses.
  • I didn't wimp out. I was going to do the ride on my spin bike because of the heat, but a small reminder to myself that the race in a few weeks would actually be held outside made me get out and get that ride done outside.
  • I managed to refill by front water reservoir without killing myself.  I have NO coordination on the bike, so the act of grabbing a water bottle, opening it, and then squeezing it into my front reservoir is akin to me performing the most complicated aerobatics maneuver you've ever seen.  
  • I got to practice my transition skills.  And I found these skills quite lacking, especially since me getting off the bike is like a slow-motion replay of any other normal triathlete doing the same thing.  But at least I know ahead of time I will be making a fool of myself farting around in transition.
  • I added two extra miles to the ride.  Just to see how close I could get to 26.
  • I was completely owning that tri-suit.  I want to do this duathlon in a tri-suit so I only have to worry about bringing one piece of race clothing, and I put that sucker on and rode in it without an ounce of self-consciousness.  Which is not something the size 22 me would ever have done.





  • I waved to all the church people going to church in my tri suit.  Because they were staring at me and I wanted to try and be nice.  And sit up on my bike and show them more of my tri suit.


No more highlights-time for learnings:

  • It's sad that it takes 95-degree weather for me to not procrastinate doing my workouts.
  • For once, there was no wind...it was weird being able to go any direction I wanted and not mentally whine about the wind.
  • I like biking and running in the tri suit except for the part where it stuck to me like a 2nd layer of skin during the run.
  • And it's that "2nd layer of skin" thing that was probably causing the church people to eye me all crazily.
  • Size 22 me would have laughed at the very thought of a bike ride and lit up another cig.

Tomorrow's workout: Speed!  400s!  Lots of them!





No comments:

Post a Comment