Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Running & Cycling: Some comparisons.

Am I a runner who cycles?  Or a cyclist who runs?

Or am I just an idiot who cycles and runs and likes to take stupid pictures about all of my running and cycling nonsense?

Answer:  Yes.  A thousand times yes.






While I obviously like both sports because I do both sports on the regular, I can't help but always compare them in my mind.  This is probably because I run out of things to think about after a while during a long ride or a run.  Anyway, let's run through some cycling and running comparisons:


What you think when you want to quit the workout early:

Running:  Suck it up, buttercup, and get it done.
Cycling: Suck it up, buttercup, because if you quit now you have to walk this damn bike back to the house looking like a fool in front of all these cows.


When you you're getting ready for a workout in the summer:

Running: Bra shirt shorts socks shoes hat DONE
Cycling: Bra jersey tri-shorts socks bike shoes helmet water bottle grease the chain air the tires get bike grease on your leg go inside and wash it off sunglasses DONE


When you realize you're going too fast during a race:

Running: I better slow down; I didn't train for this pace.
Cycling: I better slow down; I could, like, die.


When you want to take a mid-workout selfie:

Running: Get out phone and take that sucker while large dog takes a break in the tall grass.



Cycling: If I get out my phone while in motion on the bike I will crash and die so it's better to stop first and take an artsy-farsty pic instead.




When you're taking preparations to be safe during the workout:

Running: Pepper spray and a bad attitude - check.  I should be safe from any cow, horse, or goat that wants to mess with me out in the countryside.
Cycling: All anyone who wants to abduct me has to do is make me crash on my bike, so whatever.


When you're buying gear you don't really need:

Running: New pairs of running shoes just seem to follow me home.  There's nothing I can do.
Cycling: I need new tires?  Well, I'll just buy a whole new bike then.


So, in sum, cycling has a greater chance of resulting in my death than running, but is just as expensive as running.  But I'm never slowed down by a resting and selfie-resistant dog while cycling, that's for sure.


And for sure I have some stupid learnings for you to end this post:

  • I take way more stupid pictures than I ever post--like this one:


Some Star Trek sass for you.


  • I think we all know how painful it can be to walk a bike back home in front of some judgy cows.
  • Bike grease on my leg.  Every single ride, I tell you.
  • I have a soft spot for all of those shoes that follow me home; I take them in and give them a good home every single time.


Tomorrow's workout: 20+ mile bike ride and some weights goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment