Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, May 28, 2018

Just my complaints about workout gear.

After yesterday's workout extravaganza, it was nice just to have one workout to do today - some speed.

LOOK I'M TREADMILLING WITH NO HANDS

The Runner's World app said I had to do six 400m repeats at around a 7:50 pace, which is slower than I normally run them but I wasn't about to argue after the abuse my legs took yesterday.  It also said I should have run 5-6 miles but the way I do math it only came out to around 4.5 miles.  Besides all the math issues, how'd the workout go?  This about sums it up:

I did watch more that a big blue blob I swears.

As you can see, I also wore a tank top with little strips that are allow people to see right through to your nakenedness underneath.  I'm not sure how I feel about this fitness-wear trend...but I do know that I'll be saving these tanks for the treadmill.  And while we're on the subject, let's examine a few more fitness-wear trends I don't really understand:


Trend #1: Putting organza-like mesh material on running tights.

Now, I get that it this stuff makes the tights more breathable (especially in places like knee-pits) but every time I've seen a pair of tights with this stuff in it, it ends up looking too pantyhose-esque for my tastes.


Trend #2: "Athleisure."

Before anyone freaks out, let me state that I am the number one proponent of wearing workout gear to places other than to a workout.  In fact, if I could get away with it, I would show up to work every day in a race t-shirt and a pair of running capris with my Oofos flip-flops (even in the dead of winter).  But the whole "athleisure" concept makes it hard for me to shop for gear I actually want to run in...because when I'm at TJ Maxx and grab that cute "running" top and then realize it's made by Calvin Klein and a little too froofy for running, I get all disappointed and whatnot and have to continue my search.  And plus how durable is something that's "athleisure" *really* going to be against my excruciatingly powerful BO?  Not really.  It's way too froofy for the likes of what comes out of my armpits, that's for sure.

So my point is that all this froofy girly "altheisure" pseudo-running gear makes it harder for me to pick out the actual running gear.  Just sayin.


Trend #3: Inspirational sayings on workout shirts.

I'm not really inspired by any of the ones I've seen in the past few years.  Well, the other day I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods and I saw one shirt that said "This girl is on fire" and I thought that would be appropriate for me when I was running in the heat this weekend...so not really inspirational, but more like a prediction.  I guess I've just seen these little sayings that pop up on these shirts so often that I am now impervious to their power.  I need new ones, t-shirt manufacturers.  Let's get on this, people.


Trend #4: There are not enough crazy-colored tights and capris for me to buy.

Sad but true.  The world needs more crazy running tights.


Trend #5: Not enough races that allow dogs.

Doesn't pertain to workout gear, I know, but I just felt the need to get that off my chest.


Trend #6: Wicking shirts that aren't really wicking.

Nothing sticks in my craw or sticks to me quite like a shirt that says it's wicking but then sticks annoyingly to my mid-section in such a way that it shifts with my fat rolls as I move.  You know what shirts I'm talking about-those shirts that feel like cotton but advertise themselves as wicking.  Mmm-hmm.  Lies, I tell you.


Don't get me wrong - if you're into all of the trends I listed above, more power to you.  After so many years of running, however, these are the things about fitness gear that bother me...and you're bound to get irritated after awhile.  And after so much facetious garbage in this post, the cat says it's time to end it and call it a night.

Hyooman.  I told you to leave me out of your stupid blog.  I means it.

The trend of learnings that aren't learnings continues:

  • You know what else bothers me?  Running shorts that have built-in spandex that inevitably rides up or cuts off circulation in your thighs.  I fall for this every summer.
  • If I see someone with that organza-like mesh on someone's tights in a race, my first thought is that they are running in their unmentionables by accident.  
  • Froofy.  This word needs to be used more often.
  • Athleisure should be a word used less often.

Tomorrow's workout: Bike riding' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment