Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Doesn't everyone have an "I was so hungry I was about to eat my own fingers" snack?

If you haven't been outside lately in the eastern half of the country, you may not know that it's cold.  Like, super cold.



I sucked it up and went outside and did the same amount of miles as degrees on the thermometer - three.  I was not excited about having to wear my balaclava.

Suspicious runner is suspicious of cold weather.

I'd like to say at this point that I went outside and the run was more awesome than I thought it was.  But I won't because that's not true.  It was cold, I found it hard to breathe at a 10 min/mile pace with all that cold air, and my right big tow didn't warm up until after I got into the shower afterwards - and it freaking hurt while it was warming up.

I look OK, but cold.  So cold.

The silver lining of this run is that I will be better prepared to run in this cold winter suck in the future.  I did manage to try out these super duper thin base-layer leggings I got at Target (C-9 brand) a few years ago; wore these under my fleece-lined tights and managed to stay pretty warm.  I now officially approve of them for running.  (They are also good to wear under bike shorts on those chilly spring mornings when you're going for a ride and you don't own a pair of cycling tights and are too cheap to buy any.)

Super thin and super purple.  So much super
the cat can't even look at it.

So that sums up my workout for the day; what about the eating?  Below are the highlights:

  • Breakfast: scrumptious oatmeal doctored with PB, bananas, and cinnamon with coffee.  Yummo.
  • Snack: Nutrisystem muffin and a handful of nuts.
  • Lunch: BUH VEGGIES and a hot dog. And a small piece of peppermint bark because hubbs told me he had some so of course I had to eat some because I knew it was in the house.
  • Snack: Nutrisystem muffin (apparently the "high fiber" label on those suckers doesn't scare me) and more nuts.
  • Post-run snack: Even more nuts...and an apple.
  • I was so hungry I was about to eat my own fingers snack: A small bowl of the hubbs's potato chips because I found the bag when I was looking for the peppermint bark in the spot where hubbs hides his crappy food from me
  • Dinner: Veggie tots, shredded chicken sandwich, homemade sugar-free PB pie.  Yummo.


A few stumbles, but not too bad overall.  I have managed to lose some weight since I started this mess; around a pound.  One thing I've learned about weight loss is that it took a long time to gain--and it's going to take time to lose.

The other thing I've learned recently is that the hubbs needs to find a new hiding place for all of his junk food.

And now even more bonus learnings:

  • I better get used to running in the cold.  Because winter.
  • I'm going to attempt a 13 mile run in 9 degree weather on Saturday.  Wish me and my right big toe luck.
  • Doesn't everyone have an "I was so hungry I was about to eat my own fingers" snack?  Everyone should if they don't already.
  • Anything purple is automatically super--just so you know that for future reference.


Tomorrow's workout:  A total body workout of some kind...boot camp sounds like a good idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment