Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Friday, January 19, 2018

Working out while sick: More facetious tips.

I don't know what my throat's problem is, but it woke up sore again this morning.  In fact, I felt like complete crap when I got up--the worst I've felt throughout this week of sickness and snot.  I was glad a run wasn't on the schedule, because it would definitely NOT have been done.  Instead, I pondered what weight workout I was up to doing.

*ponder* *ponder*


What I really wanted to do was this:



But I sucked it up (literally) and got on my weight-lifting duds.  I had intended to do one of my new Cathe Fit Split workouts, but I wanted to do some total body weights and I had already done that earlier in the week from that series.  So I ended up doing my usual Total Body Giant Sets from Cathe's Strong and Sweaty series, but just eliminated the last round of lower body so I could get my butt to work on time.

The hubbs thinks I'm crazy that I still work out while I'm sick, but I always feel better after I do.  There are some rules, however, you have to follow in order not to make yourself way, way sicker:


  1. First, let's get serious: never ever work out if you have a fever and feel as if you could possibly need a trip to the hospital either before or after the workout.  In fact, if you think you shouldn't work out, then DON'T.  I once stupidly thought I could run a half marathon with a severe sinus infection + fever and almost did until I read the night before that if I did it could result in things like "pneumonia" and "hospitalization" and "coma."  I try not to tempt fate like that.
  2. If you think you're good to work out, make sure all of the snot and phlegm are in your head region and not the chest.  If it's all in your head, go ahead!  Although I doubt if you had a chest cold you'd be able to do any cardio with ease.  (Never stopped me from smoking though - pathetic.)
  3. Take it a little easier on yourself than you normally do.  For example, don't think you'll be busting out all those speed intervals at warp speed; do the intervals, but slow down the pace.  Or like I did on Thursday, reduce the mileage of your run.  If you're addicted to strength DVDs like I am, do a shortened version of your workout or do a lower-impact version. If I'm really sick but determined to still do a workout, I have a stretch yoga DVD that makes me feel way better yet doesn't stress out my immune system any more than it already is - and I get that "oh boy I still got a workout in!" fake badass feeling.
  4. Always keep a box of tissues handy during the workout.  This is so your runny nose can stop your workout every 5 minutes to blow it, making it even more raw and red and stinging than it already is and causing you to miss the first few reps of whatever exercise is up on deck.
  5. Revel in that post-workout "ZOMG my sinuses are so clear I CAN BREATHE AGAIN" feeling, because it won't last long until that brick of snot settles back in.
  6. Don't let yourself be judged by your judgy zoo of animals, either, especially if the cat gives you that "stoopid hyooman" look.  Again.

Here it comes, stoopid hyooman.




Let's ponder some learnings:

  • I think it's pretty obvious that I would rather err on the side of working out when I am sick.
  • My nose is seriously raw.  Like, angry raw.  Angry, stinging, tear-inducing raw.
  • It was probably not the best morning to force my squats and lunges to go deeper than I normally do.  Nope.
  • Doesn't everyone ponder on an exercise ball?  
  • I took more NyQuil again.  And these learnings are pretty clear evidence of that fact.


Tomorrow's workout: So there's this 17 mile run on the schedule that may have to be reconsidered...


No comments:

Post a Comment