Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, January 15, 2018

Cathe's Fit Split Push Day & Pull Day: MY GAWD, WOMAN

Today I gave my legs a break from yesterday's way too long treadmill session and did some upper body.  Since I just got some new Cathe workout DVDs, I decided to give those a shot out of the need for sheer variety.

Is it just me, or is she wearing a glove on one hand
and holding a weight in the other?  If so WHY


I was happy it was a strength day, because I woke up to this mess.  Thanks but no thanks Mother freaking Nature.

I wish the intensity of my hate for winter would melt all
that snow.

Anyway, let's talk about Cathe now, shall we?  Her Fit Split videos are made up of 2 workouts on each of 4 DVDs - one workout being a cardio workout and the other being a strength workout.  Each workout on a DVD is roughly 20-25 minutes long, which immediately made me suspicious that the workouts were super easy.

And then after doing 5 minutes of one of the workouts I was immediately wrong about that. I ended doing both the Push Day and Pull Day workouts, which are short but intense weight workouts that will make you start to cry by the end.  Not really (unless you really feel like crying; don't let me hold you back from expressing your feelings), but my gawd that woman was not freaking messing around, if you know what I mean.  Below is the breakdown of the workouts that I did:

Yay Cathe is AMAZING as USUALs:

  • Holy crap I was pleasantly surprised I could do both workouts as a premix on the Push Day (and I'm assuming also on the Pull Day) DVD!  The woman really does have a premix to meet your workout needs.  The basic premixes are shown below, but there is, as usual, a cornucopia of timesaver premixes for you as well.



  • Boy does she hit the ground running with the intense upper-body exercises.  While both Push Day and Pull Day have lower-body exercises, I skipped those and just did the upper body ones.  Except for the time I got carried away and did some deadlifts with a heavy barbell for some reason (probably barbell)
  • Two words: Super.  Sets.  And then do them three times in a row.  She's packing in a lot of good stuff that way into a shorter amount of time.
  • A few more words: The shoulder supersets on on the Push Day DVD nearly took me out.
  • Just two more words: Bar. Bell.

The MY GAWD woman WHAT IS GOING ONs:


  • Because she's trying to get so much in to a short period of time, the woman MOVES between exercises.  I kept missing reps getting my weights...which were located RIGHT BEHIND me.
  • The exercises, for the most part, were not anything new.  Not that I need new all the time - some exercises just work and you should do them all the time.  But I was a little disappointed that there weren't a lot of new exercises.  There weren't even a lot of old exercises in there that can be new again because they haven't been done in awhile.
  • You do shoulders twice if you do both of these workouts...and let me tell you your shoulders will be fried if you do the Push Day shoulder exercises first.  I think it's a little overdone on that body part, but you can always skip the shoulder exercises in one of the workouts.  
  • Push Day uses a step as a weight bench, Pull Day doesn't (you use a stability ball).  Why not keep that the same for both workouts?


Overall, I dig these workouts because they are not wimpy in the least, and get the job done in a shorter time than her other workouts.  And they let me use my beloved barbell and my heavy weights because, you know, badassery.




So much to learn, so little time:

  • I do love Cathe, but I'm not one of those people where she can do no wrong.
  • Unless she uses a barbell.  Then she's the best workout person ever and I will hear no bad words spoken against her.
  • All those premixes...you have to admit it really does take away all your excuses not to workout.  Unless you do not own a TV or computer or electricity.
  • I still love bullet points.
  • Winter can suck it. 


Tomorrow's workout: Speed, my friends...a descending ladder.  However, I have a fever at this very moment and am hopped up on Nyquil...so we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment