Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Friday, May 10, 2013

Decisions, decisions.

I weighed myself this morning, and the scale is still stuck at 142.2 lbs.  I will spare you all another picture of my veiny feet in my bathroom that has been in a state of remodel for the past 7 years. (Yes, seven.)

Weighing myself every morning is really holding me accountable.  It is helping me make better decisions during the day.  For example:

Decision #1:  Lunch.

Today was a half day for my students, and afterwards us teachers got professionally developed for the rest of the day.  But before the development began, the school graciously served us some lunch.  It looked really good and smelled really good, but it was not on my eating manifesto.  I badly wanted to crash the lunch line, but resisted that urge, thinking of the scale this morning.  Instead, I ate the lunch I made this morning like a good little weight-loss girl.

Decision #2: Dinner.

It's Friday.  I was tempted after school to run down to my husband's office and ask him if he wanted to go shopping with me....and then go out to dinner.  But then I thought of all the crap I would eat and how I would just feel guilty when I got on the scale in the morning, and thought the better of it.  I also have a lot of food I cooked still sitting in the fridge, and I can't justify going out when it is there waiting for me in all its delicious leftover glory.

Some may find weighing yourself every day to be a bit obsessive.  I call it "smart weight management."

Anyhoo, on to the exercise portion of today's post.  I got up wanting to run, but then decided against it to give my Achilles weirdness another day to settle.  Instead, I busted out a Cathe fave of mine that I didn't do during marathon training because of the high impact nature of some of the moves: Circuit Blast.



I like this workout because the cardio is effective (hello high-impact jumping moves-o-rama) and is combined with compound weight exercises and core work to really do a nice job of hitting it all in about 45 minutes.  I had my sweat on after this workout.  Although they use a full-size step, I used a mini-step instead because that's the only step I have with that many risers.  It only became an issue on one move (wide box jumps) in the last round of exercises, and then I just do regular box jumps instead.  A box jump is a box jump is a box jump--they all burn the thighs after about 6 reps.

But tomorrow's workout has been planned for me ever since I signed up to do a duathlon next Saturday.  This is something I wanted to do last year but chickened out because I didn't know how to handle the transitions.  It's a 2 mile run, 11 mile bike, and a 2 mile run, so it looks like something I can handle if I practice a bit this week on my run days incorporating some biking as well.

And I'm going to start tomorrow with a 1 mile run, 5 mile bike, 1 mile run workout.  I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes, along with any accompanying reassessment of my sanity for even signing up for this in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment