Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Monday, May 6, 2013

Don't even pretend that you don't have eating conversations with yourself, too.

This morning I got up and did some Total Body Tri-Sets and let Cathe abuse me with her multiple painful forms of push-ups and her lower body exercises that made my glutes sore by mid-day.  But before I went downstairs for this completely voluntary exercise abuse, I weighed in.

And today's weight is.....

I have some veiny feet.

Down another 0.2 pounds!  I'll take it.  It didn't come on all at once, and it sure won't come off that way.

I spent the work day today figuring out how to stop snacking so much in-between meals (oh, and actually doing my job, too).  I realized that since I get up at 4 AM, lunchtime for my body is actually around 10...and, since I don't teach that period, I started eating my lunch then.  And when I say "started" I mean I ate half of it--my carrots and my yogurt.  I then taught for a period, and then ate my sandwich during my regularly scheduled lunch period.  Then it was all teach teach teach snack teach teach snack sit down and get some work done now go home and blog about my weight like a fool.

What struck me the most was the mental gymnastics that occurred within my brain right after school let out at 3 PM.  I finished my afternoon snack (apple and a cheese stick) with the cheese stick and then sat down to do some work.  Within a half an hour I wanted something to eat again.  The convo in my brain went a little something like this:

Body: "I'm hungry."
Brain: "No you're not.  You just ate half an hour ago."
Body: "No....I'm pretty sure I'm hungry.  There's food over there in the office.  Let's get some."
Brain: "I don't think so.  I'm not feeling hungry.  Are you sure you're hungry?"
Body: "Pretty sure, even thought your stomach isn't saying so! The food is just about 10 feet away! Let's Goooooooooooooo!"

I used to eat constantly from the time school let out until the time I went home.  I think it's a vestige of when I used to smoke-when I couldn't smoke I had a tendency to nosh a bit.  And, since they tend to frown upon smoking in school these days, eating seemed like a less risky alternative.  

Well, I quit smoking almost 3 years ago.  It's time to quit all these nasty little habits that went with it.

On a completely unrelated note, I feel like I have more energy now that I am eating real food I cook myself for dinner rather than going off in search of an easy meal that contains mystery ingredients or ingredients that are food in name only. Since it's only been two days, however, this may all be my brain's way of trying to make the best of a bad situation by lying to itself.

Hopefully the scale will keep trending downward tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment