Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Losing weight for all the wrong reasons.

I got a new job recently.  My interview, thankfully, did not go anything like this:


I am hoping that in my new position I will have time to do more running and training, mainly because I will have only one job rather than 3 bazillion jobs masquerading as one.  There is also a sweet indoor track at the school in which I now work, which will come in mighty handy come wintertime.

But the new job doesn't start until July 1st, and my next race is on June 7th--Ragnar Chicago.  I have gained some poundage during marathon training, some poundage I need to take off so I can be faster (way to lose weight for all the wrong reasons!).  I have about a month, and I know if I start eating correctly again, I can look like this:


The picture above was taken in 2010.  I look very....flat.  In lots of ways.  Below is a picture of me crossing the finish line at my marathon Sunday:


I've gotten pretty thick around the middle.  Not so 2-dimensional anymore.  Time to get serious and shed the thickness. (Whatever that means.)

It's also time to reverse taper back up to my old levels of training.  I did my first run this morning after my marathon (3 miles), and it's amazing how you think your legs are fine but really they are just cowering in silence, waiting for you to run so they can scream in agony.  Alright, so it wasn't that bad, but Lord that run wasn't good.  It just reminded me that my body will need way more than a week to recover (unlike a half marathon), so I had better take it easy with the runs I do this week and next.

Next up for tomorrow, however, is a return of one of my favorite activities--weight lifting.  Cathe, bring on the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment