Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Swirly orange skirts and morning bathroom scale meltdowns.

I wasn't going to run today, but I did anyway because I got my new swirly orange running skirt in the mail.  Here's a close up for you:



This running skirt is made by SparkleSkirts, and is technically a SparkleTech skirt.  These were brought to my attention by someone who has run a Ragnar with me before (and will be running Wasatch Back with me in June!).  Now, I am not typically a fan of running skirts, simply because they usually chafe the hell out of me because the spandex shorts underneath the skirt ride up and become bikini underwear after about 2 miles.  But I was assured these wouldn't chafe, so I ordered mine early to try it out--which I did today.

This isn't posed at all. Maybe.
I took my new swirly skirt on a 4-mile test drive around the neighborhood.  Before I left, I put something in each pocket on the skirt (there is a large front zippered pocket and two large pockets on the side of each spandex short leg) to see how annoying it would feel to carry something in them on a run.

A little hard to see, but there is a large pocket on the side of each leg.

I put a gel in each side pocket and my phone in the front pocket, and away I went.  I felt the phone for about a quarter of a mile, and then didn't notice it any more.  I barely felt the gels.  The skirt was comfy and not irritating for the most part (except for sequins hanging on the edge of the skirt smacking you in the back of the leg; it felt like grit from the road hitting you at random intervals.  But this is easily remedied by yanking off the offending sequins).  I am happy to report no chafing on this run, and I am planning on doing a long run in it at least once before I take it out on a Ragnar course.  In fact, I may go get the swirly blue one....

But enough about clothing.  Let's talk about eating.

Today I got up and weighed myself and then did some math.  I have gained 20 pounds since I quit smoking almost three years ago.  I had a small, private meltdown in the bathroom, and then got my act together.

It's time to get freaking serious.  If I can run 26.2 miles without puking, stopping, crying, or going you-know-what on the course, then I can take off these 20 pounds. I've done it before, and I can do it again.

And it all starts with what I eat.  I think I have this "exercise" thing down, but, like I already know, 90% of this weight loss thing is about what you stuff in your mouth.  And it's time to stop stuffing so much processed crappy food in there and start eating like I used to eat.

So, here's the deal:


  • I will continue to eat my normal breakfast of a banana, yogurt, and healthy organic cereal.  I will start measuring out the portions of my cereal again.
  • I will drink half a recovery drink after my morning workout.
  • I will have one snack (not 3) between my workout and lunch.
  • Lunch will continue to be what I have eaten for the last three years (yes, freaky, I know): Carrots, yogurt, and PBJ.  The cookies that I have been eating with lunch will be eliminated (before me eating them, not after.  Gastrointestinal humor-ha!)
  • I will have one snack (not 3) between lunch and dinner.
  • Dinner will be cooked in large batches on Sunday so I can eat it throughout the week and not have to come home and cook during the week (I have an amazing tolerance for eating the same thing over and over again, as evidenced by my lunch menu for the past 3 years).  It will be eaten in addition to veggies and a piece of fruit.  Eating out will not happen anymore.


Nothing like getting on a scale to make you formulate an action plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment