Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I didn't eat my way through the afternoon. For once.

Today's weigh-in:  145.2 lbs.  Down from yesterday, up from the weekend.  Not by much though.  I didn't feel as skinny today as I did yesterday; I think the lack of sleep is catching up to me.

After I weighed in and had breakfast, I did a duathlon race simulation, doing a 1.5 mile run, an 8 mile bike, and another 1.5 mile run.  It's amazing how after you do a marathon a 1.5 mile run is pretty damn short to you, so mentally those runs aren't that challenging.  The second run after the bike takes a bit of getting used to after you hop off the bike and back on terra firma, but I'm usually OK after about 400 meters.

The bike portion was a little slower today, but the bike shoes and toe clips were much, much easier to manage.  Like I tell my students, fail often to succeed sooner--and I failed a hell of a lot yesterday so I could succeed this morning.  Here's the aftermath of yesterday's falls while trying to get my toe clips clipped and start some sort of forward motion that ended up going downward toward the ground instead:



It looks way worse than it is.  But I have a hard time bending that knee in a squat position because it feels like I am going to rip that wound on the front of my leg wide open again.  Good times.

Because I have a duathlon in a few days, I decided I also needed to dress the part and buy some actual cycling clothing so I would fit it until they actually saw me ride on the bike (or at least try to get my toes clipped in).



The one with sleeves is made by Primal, and the sleeveless one is made by Zoot.  The latter one intrigues me, because it has a sports bra built right into the sucker.  I will have to try it out tomorrow morning when I do my final duathlon workout, which will consist of a 2 mile run, a 10 mile bike, and a 2 mile run.  On Friday I am resting because my butt is incredibly sore from biking so damn much this week (oh, and to give my legs a rest before I actually do this thing).  I don't like to wear my cycling shorts on the bike and then run in them; frankly, I feel like I have a load in my pants while I waddle down the road trying to get my running legs back from my biking legs.

But enough about loads.  Today I had a facial after work and I reek of lavender facial stuff they rubbed all over my face.  That meant I had to drive at breakneck speed from my place of employment to the spa.  I then had an hour long facial (deee-LICIOUS!) and then did a little shopping in town.  I then drove home.

Why am I giving you a boring play-by-play of my after work hours?  Because I want you to notice that nowhere in there was eating involved.  Not once.  I had my apple after school and then got all the way home without once thinking about eating.

Not once.  This is a big deal for me.

During marathon training, all I could think about was eating after work, and eat I would, about every half hour.  If I was going anywhere after work, I used it as an excuse to pick up something questionable and eat it for dinner, telling myself I would eat healthier tomorrow to make up for it.  Or I would come straight home from work and grab the hubbs' bags of unhealthy snacks and down them as if I were going to get caught any moment.

But I didn't do any of that today; the urge just wasn't there anymore.  Some bad habits are getting broken.  I just have to remember not to fall back into them.

So, instead of eating my way through town, I took pictures of these crazy clouds:



Much more aesthetically pleasing than watching me plow through a Jimmy John's sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment