Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Thursday, May 16, 2013

My caution to the wind-throwing.

Today's weigh-in: 145.6  Up from yesterday.  Not sure what's causing the increase, but I think my clothes are looser these days (can't be sure until I try on some more "reference clothing."  But the capris I wore to work today are looser than I remember them being in the past).  I know better than to freak out when the number on the scale goes up but the clothes are starting to sag.

I have some stupid fears.  For example, I fear calling or emailing people I don't know well.  I fear asking salespeople at bike stores for help.  I fear making left turns across two lanes of traffic.

We all have our little fear crosses to bear.  But I have decided today that my itty bitty stupid fears shall rule me no more.  I will no longer be afraid to communicate with other people in ways that other people normally communicate fear-free. I'm throwing caution to the wind and throwing myself out there, me potentially looking like a total idiot (and the potential is quite high all the time) be damned.

Part of my new-found caution to the wind-throwing is running my next Ragnar in cow-spotted running shorts:

Your jealousy is palpable.

Our team name is "How Now Spotted Cow."  I don't really dig running in costumes, but I love crazy patterns, so I will run in these. I got them at Running Funky, and they have all of your basic running gear in a lot of annoying fabrics, which I love.  Their shipping was pretty fast, and they sent me a free pen--they now have a customer for life.

Another piece of my caution to the wind-throwing is not being afraid of this duathlon I've gotten myself into on Saturday.  I don't fear the running, and I don't fear the biking--what I fear most are the transitions.  Specifically, I fear that I will be slow and get run over before I get to the mount/dismount line for the biking part.  To get over this fear, I will be practicing my transitions tomorrow (on the grass this time, so as to avoid any body parts contacting the gravel again and blood pouring forth from my body).

I went on a nice 10-mile ride today to try out the cycling jersey I got yesterday, but I could tell my legs were tired and need the day off tomorrow.  If I feel the need to do something in the morning I may get up and do a short easy run before I practice transitioning in my front yard.  The sight of me running over and over again to my bike, putting on my gear, and running a few yards with my bike only to turn around and do it over again should give them something new to talk about.  Currently they talk about the crazy lady who runs and then gets on a bike and runs again in the wee hours of the morning.

Hopefully this crazy lady won't end up doing this on Saturday:



And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I purchased a better helmet.



photo credit: eldan via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment