Running Collage

Running Collage
2019 Race Highlights

Sunday, March 25, 2018

More reasons I lift heavy weights on the regular.

Today's workouts were as follows:



Because I am a bit more leisurely on Sundays with my workouts (and because it's a good way to procrastinate before cleaning the house that doesn't result in me spending lots of cash in the internet), I had time to do a nice 30 minute indoor bike ride and then do both of Cathe's upper body Lift It HiiT It workouts (Chest, Tris, & Shoulders plus Back, Biceps & Shoulders), and I am happy to report that after all that it is hard to lift my arms above my head, let alone type this blog post.

What I am unhappy to report is that I keep getting a lot of crap about lifting my beloved weights over and over again on the regular.  Instead of writing a bunch of whiny and verbally fist-shaking paragraphs, I thought I would just list out more reasons weight-lifting is good for you.  And away we go...

Reason #1: The cats in your house will be impressed with your weight-lifting efforts.

Hyooman.  Go lift your weights and leave us alone.
We have important things to do.


Well,  Maybe.  Or not really.


Reason #2: You'll burn more calories at rest.

I'll spare you the science lesson (although if you want one just let me know!), but just know that muscles metabolize and stuff, which means they are using calories to do their cell things even when you're not using them.  Fat cells aren't metabolically active, which is why they are known as the "big ugly slugs" of cells.

Not really.  I just made that up.  Their real name is adipocytes, which is classier but not as much fun.


Reason #3: You get more dense.

Your bones do, anyway.  And that's good because when you're old like me you tend to fall down a lot more just spontaneously, and that way your bones won't shatter like glass when you hit the ground.


Reason #4: Recovery cat likes to hang out with you when you're done.



And by "like" I mean "give you evil death glares so you will get away from her."


Reason #5: I've said this before - it can help you run faster.

Get those leg muscles stronger and you'll get faster because...well, the muscles are stronger.  This reason is really kind of intuitive, which is a nice way of saying "duh."


Reason #6: You can take people to your gun show.



The two people on the TV in the background are in awe of the guns being shown.


Reason #7: Hello....you get to use a barbell if you want.

Do you really need any other reason?



The reasons are done, and the learnings have begun:

  • Why yes, I do work out in the same few Ragnar t-shirts I own.  Very observant.
  • I did all three sets of each exercise for the Cathe workouts with none of the finisher exercises and my arms are freaking jello right now.
  • The cats are only impressed when you have treats.
  • For those who are of the "runners should just run" mindset, can we just agree to disagree from now on?  Thanks.
  • And the barbell should be the only reason you need.


Tomorrow's workouts: Yay some 400s!

No comments:

Post a Comment